Who are these people?

In another post, this was stated -- I don't understand how some of you can claim you believe in Hell but not Heaven.

One apparently is to presume the OP of that statement means only the christian construct of both heaven and hell, from the way she, um, expresses herself. So please, anyone who believes, or knows someone who believes in the concept of christian hell with no belief in the rest of the mythology, give your answer and explain why/how you came to this conclusion. I've never heard any atheist or agnostic state such a claim (but true, I haven't met them all) so I am quite curious to see this thought process in action.

roachiesmom

Asked by roachiesmom at 2:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I MIGHT try to clarify if I knew the original context of what was said but seeing as I don't I can only chalk it up to sarcasm. There are atheists/agnostics who do believe in a type of afterlife, perhaps it was something along those lines.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'm pretty near a 150% it wasn't sarcasm in context. But I see what you are saying -- it could be that any sort of belief in any sort of afterlife held by a non-believerof the christian god would be interpreted by some christians as a twisted idea of "well, they believe in hell, see." Because their minds would only be able to go there.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think this is a misinterpretation of either atheism or Satanism. I know at least once today an atheist mentioned preferring to go to hell...all of us atheists know this is sarcasm because we don't believe...but SOME Christians believe we actually DO choose to go to hell.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2009