question?

ok im due in Jan... Im a SAHM ... im going to breastfeed and cant aford a breast pump do i realy need one since im going to be staying home with the baby most of the time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You dont NEED one like the others have said. Check with your hospitall, I know around here they "rent" out pumps. They basically let women use them for free. If you have to pump in some way at some point you can always hand express the milk. Its sort of a pain but it gets the job done, and to be honest, the pump never worked for me. I had one of the most expensive pumps out there, but I still got WAY more milk when I would hand express the milk. So, the answer is no. They're nice to have, but women went thousands of years without a pump, don't spend the money if you dont have it!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Yes. Do you ever plan on getting away from your child if only for an hour or two? Allow her to know another person in her life?   Rent one. You may be eligible for a free one. Talk to your doctor.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• im on wic can they give me one?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No you don't NEED one. At first, when the baby is nursing every 2 or 3 hours and you are figuring out their feeding schedule, you won't be able to leave the baby with anyone. Personally I don't think it is that big of a deal. The baby only eats and sleeps for the most part! LOL! Once they are on a schedule of sorts, you will know how much time you have to be gone during feedings. Otherwise, ask for a hand pump for a Christmas present! That is how I get things I need. :-) The medela hand pump is about 40 dollars and works quite well. There is no need for an electric pump when you are a SAHM.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You don't NEED one, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to put one on your registry if you're doing one. Check with your WIC office. Ours has some to loan out (as does the hospital) but there is a waiting list! (here, anyway)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You may be able to rent one when you need it.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I don't think anyone actually NEEDS one but they are nice to have. I had one with my son but for whatever reason it didn't work right so with my 2nd, I didn't bother. They don't eat nonstop so it's not like you won't be able to get away by yourself if you need to. I've had friends who swear by them but I did fine without one. I'm going to breastfeed this one also (due in October) and I'm not buying another breast pump.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Yes WIC will let you borrow one if they have one available. No you dont need one, i am a SAHM and only use my pump when my dd has slept through the entire night
    lishanlily

Answer by lishanlily at 3:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• A pump is not necessary if you plan on SAH, and not being apart from your baby for more then a short time. Google manual breast milk expression techniques, and you can always do that if needed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No, I didn't need mine.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2009