Has anyone had to have this high carb/sugar diet 3 days prior to 3 hr Glucose Test?

Hello. I failed my 1 hr glucose test last week. I believe normal is below 130 and I was at 179!!! I was shocked. My grandmother was overweight and had type 2 diabetes, so I figured people who were "overweight" got this but i was actually underweight to start and now have gained "more than what the doc wants" during this pregnancy, even though I gave her my food diary and she said I am eating extremely healthy and I am exercising about 4 times a week. I have been on this high carb/sugars diet for the past 2 days, tomorrow I get tested with the 3hr. Has anyone else had to do this weird diet? It has been so hard for me to eat this much bread and sugary rolls....I actually hate it...I am a typically healthy eater so this is like put my body into sugar shock!

tinalloyd

Asked by tinalloyd at 3:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Isn't this the "new" way to do the glucose test?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Diabetes has nothing to do with weight or diet. And with it being in your family you are more likely to get it. Maybe doing research on it will help you realize what it really is. And not sure because I have not been tested for diabetes in like 4 years while I was pregnant with my son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• my glucose instructions were to eat a candy bar each day for two days prior ontop of my regular diet

i tested fine in the 3 hour one- good luck and bring something to do because they dont let you leave the lobby
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Im sorry but whoever told PP that dibetes has nothing to do with weight or diet is not only 100% wrong, but completley insane. Most people CAN manage diabetes with diet and most people CAN avoid diabetes by watching their weight. And GD is USUALLY completley managable by diet. No, I have never heard of sending your body into sugar overload to test for glucose intolerance. But then again I see no point in testing for a "disease" that 99% of the time can be avoided or managed. You just have to keep in mind that DRs are medically minded not holistic minded. So they are trained to hand out medical answers I.E. medicine.. That doesnt mean that you dont actually have glucose intolerance because it sounds like your already eating right. You may be one of the few that does need some help to control it. Yes, being overweight is a factor but family members having diabetes means nothing when it comes to GD. Good luck!
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 3:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Im not going to argue with you about it but genetic and hereditary is the same thing. Diabetes can be acute or chronic, simply being overweight can cause diabetes. Do you not realise you contradicted yourself? You said it can be genetic or enviromental. But in the same sentence say diet and weight mean nothing. Which is wrong. What do you think enviormental factors mean? The way the sun shines? No.. It means diabetes can be directly caused by being over weight and eating poorly. Next time, actually KNOW something about the disease as a whole, not just what happened with one peraonal experience and what the drs said applied to said personal experience. Do you even know the definition of chronic vs. acute and how they apply to illnesses? Speaking as a CMA, I do. I also know quite a bit about diabetes as a whole disease. It is very ignorant to pass off half truths and personal experience as fact.
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 4:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I didn't mean to start an argument here...saw that some of the other comments by 1 user were taken down...my godsisters and brothers all have type 1 diabetes, they are in their teens. I know that regular diabetes can be genetic I was just reading that gestational diabetes tends to be in overweight women...I was just also merely asking about this funky diet they had me on the past 3 days...gave me the shakes at times I think bc of too much sugar! ok thanks for your answers...
    tinalloyd

Answer by tinalloyd at 8:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2009