And your thoughts on this quote?

"The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. We believe that the universe itself is conscious in a way we can never truly understand. It is engaged in a search for meaning. So it .. breaks itself apart, investing its own consciousness in every form of life"

Delenn [character from Babylon 5 television show / J.M. Straczynski - writer]

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Um no, not really. A molecule consists of at least 2 atoms. H2O is a molecule. A molecule of water to be exact. The atoms that make up that molecule are Hydrogen and oxygen. The molecules that make up a person are vastly different from the molecules that make up a star because the combinations of atoms are different. While in essence this statement can be seen as true because the universe is compromised of ALL the atoms we encounter it is false in the sense that not all combinations are identical.
    Furthermore I don't agree with the statement that the universe is a conscious entity or breaks itself apart into consciousness within all forms of life.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• While in essence this statement can be seen as true because the universe is compromised of ALL the atoms we encounter

I have a feeling this is what the writer intended. It was a Sci-Fi tv show after all; not a science class or philosopher.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I still disagree with it . It's a unique and interesting view point but I don't believe the universe has a consciousness. Our consciousness comes from our ability to reason. The universe does not reason it simply is there.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I look at it - I guess less along the lines of consciousness of the universe iteself; but more of a recognitions that yes we are made of the same energy and materials as the rest of the universe/the planet/the moon & the stars. They were first and we 'grew/developed' out of those elements.

Enegry can not be 'destroyed' or 'killed' it is recycled into another form of energy. And so we can not ever be 'dead' just transformed into something else...now what that else is I guess is up to each person. Is it a spirit (energy) that goes to heaven or is it enegry that is converted into grass to complete the "circle of life"?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2009