If there is a seperation of church and state why can you not buy alcohol on Sundays?

What's the point anyway? I mean if I really wanted to drink on Sunday don't you think I would just stock up on Saturday? (I'm not a big drinker I was just think about it because i a sign at Wal-Mart about no sales on Sunday )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Actually it started out as being religion related like alot of things our country is based on. Thing is not everyone in America have the same or some no religion. I think it is stupid also that this is in effect still. I dont even drink but come on. Thing is if it were to change many religious people will go crazy and act stupid about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I don't think it is church related, I think there is a limit to how much can be sold in a week due to their licensing. I'm not exactly sure, I'd have to look it up, but they do make money off it,.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• That's not the same for all states......
    It was the case when we lived in Texas - there were some cities that did that. There are even some "dry" cities out there as well.
    However, we're in Washington now - and no, they allow booze to be bought on Sunday.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Oh yea my MIL lives in a DRY county in Arkansas. She has to buy it in a different county and can only possess so much at a time.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• New York now allows liquor stores to be open on Sundays.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 3:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think it has to do with the city and state you live in. In college I lived in a dry county, so there was no alchohol sold at all (50 ft over the county line, though, anything and everything). Now I live in the same town I grew up in, and there aren't any restrictions (other than when the bars close, and hard liquor is only sold at liquor stores), you can walk into any grocery store in town and buy beer or wine any time of the day, any day of the week. Probably has a lot to do with the local city ordinances.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 3:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• depends on where you live. You can buy anything you want here in PA.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• We have a store called Ukrops in VA that is based out of richmond and started by a religious family. They do not sell Alcohol in any form whatsoever at anytime. Just like Chic-Fil-A is closed on all christian holidays and sundays, it was a decision made by the owners. Walmart in VA sells beer and wine every day of the week here but liquor stores are closed on Sundays. But I've heard people say that they've been to other states where you can go to a liquor store on sundays so it is different in every state. Just like in VA you can only buy liquor at an ABC store and can't in grocery stores or gas stations but when I went to NY we stopped somewhere (its been so long and I can't remember which state it was in) and they sold liquor in a gas station, I was amazed. Lol.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 3:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• It depends on where you live. And when you live where a majority of the people in your community where people view sunday as the Sabbath you have rules like that. And to be politically correct there is a separation on church and state but remember we live in a country founded on christian beliefs. Our money says in God we trust, there is prayer at almost all military functions and we as americans gladly take christmas and easter off of work in celebration of christ.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 3:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• In my county, it is illegal to buy or sell CARS on Sunday. Go figure. But you can buy booze!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009