Ear Peircing (another question from a earlier post)

I asked the earliest I could pierce my babies ears and I got a lot of feed back about how I should wait until she ask because it is her body. Many of you said around 6 or 8. If this is such and import and decision shouldn't it be made by an even older child? You say she may not want them so I should wait but what if i let her a 10 and she decides as a 17 year old she doesn't want them. Is it not going to cause the same problem of me being to blame for allowing her to do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Personally, I still remember getting it done. I was 10 and it was a big deal. I wanted it so badly and was so excited and happy to have it done. It was just me and my mother. It is a memory I cherish. I want my daughter to have the same thing. I will wait until she is 10. Right now she is 6 and is scared to death of the idea of it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Uhh... if you were to ask her at 10 and then at 17, she no longer wanted them... she can take her earrings out. They're not glued to her ears.
    And you can always point out that at 10, she wanted them.
    Tastes, opinions, views.. whatever changes with time.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'm getting my daughter's ears pierced for her 1 year birthday. Mine have been pierced since I was 2 months old, if the child gets older and doesn't want to wear earrings she can let her holes grow up, I would do what you felt was a good decision on your part, I wouldn't ask all these moms what they thought.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• She's your daughter babe. I knew a couple who got their baby's ears pierced when she was six weeks old. My daughter is two and doesn't have hers pierced yet. She loves jewelry and my hub and I are discussing getting her ears pierced for her on her birthday since she has already asked. It's up to you. If I were you, thats how I would look at it. If you want her ears pierced, then get them pierced.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree with Katrina3016. its your child. who cares what others think? my niece got her ears peirced at 2 1/2 months after her doctor gave her parents the go. I plan on getting my daughters ears peirced a 2 1/2 or 3 months as soon as the doctor says its ok. and if she doesn't want her ears peirced anymore (I dont really see why not) then she can take them out and let the holes close up
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I had mine pierced at 16. I haven't worn earrings for the past 10 or so years (I'm over 40) and my holes have NOT closed up.

If she is old enough to understand how to take care of them, and that this is a permanent change to her body (albeit a small one), then when she is 17 and decides she no longer wants them...she knows she made the choice to do it at 10, she knows she will have those holes in her ears but that she doesn't have to wear the earrings.

Or...just make her wait until she's 18 and not worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• For some reason, peircing ears is a hotbutton topic when really the decision is completely up to the parents!!! She is your baby, if you want them peirced, peirce them! I would do it earlier instead of later. When I finally came around to getting them done my dd was 13 mos old... so I figured I would wait until she asked (even if it was now at 21 mos!). If she doesn't want them at 17, she can take them out and they can seal back up. The earliest I've heard is 6 wks, but most places say 3 mos. If you want them done, do it now! It seems every girl wants them anyways and we all know they will ask! I had a friend who wanted them peirced and her parents made her wait until she was 18, now they are peirced and she could care less... she finds them rather annoying while I've had mine since I was 5.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• OP Here. I'm sorry I know I'm being stupid I just don't want to screw her up by getting it done to young. I don't want her to hate me later but i do think it is cute on babies...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I disagree with having this done to babies. My DD who is almost 4, has been asking for a while now, and knows what is involved, so I plan on taking her to a piercer (not the mall) with my next paycheck.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Krysta disagrees with getting babies ears pierced, but thinks it's okay and DOES breastfeed and smoke pot.

HMMM, do we care about the opinion of a druggie?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2009