How do you make a loaf of bread?

I've got the dough down and it makes great pizzas. But I can never quite get a good loaf. Hubby's getting me a bread maker sometime this year, but how do can I make the loaves just right til then with my regular oven? Something always goes wrong like it's burnt here, still gooey there, too think to easily use, too thin and burns, etc. Any tips on shaping or measuring it just right to get a good little loaf?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 3:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Usually, I roll it.. kind of like you would a jelly roll - and tuck the ends into themselves, and put it into a loaf pan.
    It also depends on how finicky your oven is as well.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I have a breadmaker that I picked up on freecycle; I only use it for pizza dough. I prefer batter breads, which are beaten instead of kneaded.

4 cups whole wheat flour
    2 envelopes RapidRise Yeast
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup milk
    1/3 cup honey
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    In large bowl, combine 2 cups whole wheat flour, undissolved yeast, and salt. Heat water, milk, honey, and butter until very warm (120° to 130°F). Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in remaining flour to make stiff batter. Place in greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes or until done.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• There is a group on here called "Homemade Bread Making" that gives excellent advice.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• How are you doing it? I don''t know what your problem could be, but mine turns out alright (though I haven't made it in years). Are you talking about just plain ol' white bread? If nothing else, tell me how you make it, and we'll compare techniques, so we can see where the problem is.
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• actually loafs made in the bread machine tend to fall apart really easily , your better off making them in the oven in a cast iron pot i can give you a few recipes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Oh yeah, my experience with my Mom's bread machine wasn't very awesome. It over mixed it or SOMEthing, and it was always hard bread.. Someone just gave us a loaf of orange marmalade bread as a congrats for Devon, and it was the same. Not sure if certain kinds are better than others; maybe get a highly recommended one.
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 8, 2009