to circumcise or not to circumcise ...

Are there any good sites that spell out the pos. and neg. of both in a non bias way. I can only seem to find sites describing one extreme or the other. I wanna make a well informed decision...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Circumcision is a surgical procedure in which the skin covering the end of the penis is removed. Scientific studies show some medical benefits of circumcision. How­ever, these benefits are not sufficient for the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) to recommend that all infant boys be circumcised.

This is from the AAP http://patiented.aap.org/content.aspx?aid=5273
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I like www.babycenter.com. They have alot of information from both sides. I hope this helps, good luck!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• If I have a boy, he'll definitely be snipped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Sorry to hear that 5:03, but that wasn't the question.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• OP - u don't have to decide anything now, u know...... you have his whole babyhood, childhood, adolescense and then adulthood.

The nice thing about doing it later on (for medical or whatever else reasons) is that they will get proper pain control then... whereas a newborn has to pretty much tough it out. Whether you're 30 minutes old or 30 yrs old it's a piece of very sensitive skin being cut off... and I think pain meds should be given accordingly.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• OP - I say take him home the same way you grew him ... in 1 solid piece. Give it a week and decide.... a week of nothing or a week of changing a bloody gauze that makes him shriek everytime he pees on it or it gets stuck and u have to pull it off. OR, a week of a self cleaning weiner with no maintenance required. You'll be tired enough, why make extra work? If he needs to be snipped or you WANT him snipped, u can make the decision then. He isn't born yet, I assume..... why decide! It's like..... "oooh his nose looked really big on the ultrasound, let's have it fixed real quick while he's still in the hospital"! it makes little sense. Give yourself some time with him and see if it's a problem for you or not. emotionally, hygenically, whatever.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree with the other moms if you are truly unsure maybe you should just wait until after he is born and see if he has any problems before deciding. To be honest most things you see will be on one side or the other. It's ALL personal preference.There is no health risks behind NOT circumcising there are also no health benefits from actually circumcising. You will see things that say it's "cleaner" it's not any cleaner if you do as you're supposed to do (And believe it or not you don't have to clean a non circumcised penis).The skin is there for a reason it's there to "protect" the penis unfortunately most places only make it seem like a bad thing and it's going to cause so many infections or the child's going to contract HIV because of it. All of that isn't any higher/lower regardless of what you choose. I did full research before deciding and to be honest could not find 1 thing convincing enough to make me cut on perfection.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Wow. I'm guessing that this same anon keeps bringing my personal life into questions that have nothing to do with my personal life. Why? And your original response to the question, wasn't what was asked. My troll sensor might be a bit off, but I think I might smell troll.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'm the Original poster and i have no idea what you are talking about Krystal622...What is a troll?

hibbingmom: the nurse i talked to said that they numb the area first with a topical. I figured they would give him Tylenol after. They don't? I guess i need to ask that next time I go it.

Katrina3016: Thanks for the link. That was a pretty good article. I'll have to show it tonight to My husband and see what he thinks. He wants him done and I'm the one on the fence so thanks for all the answers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Dear OP. I'm guessing the post that I was referring to as possibly being written by a troll was deleted by the person who wrote it. She brought a completely different topic into this, and also into a post about ear piercing, I believe, just to get a rise out of me. Anyway, I hope the link I provided you is of some help to you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2009