Do babies have to wear those little baby caps?

The reason I'm asking is because before my son was born we bought some in newborn sizes. He was 5 lbs 11 oz at birth. He always pulled them over his face. That could be a suffocation hazard. So, unless they make any smaller I don't know what to do when baby #2 comes. Any ideas?

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I only used them when we were outside or if the house was chilly, its meant to help keep them warm since they can lose body heat through bald heads.

If its summer time then no they dont have to, but fall and winter even some parts of spring I would make sure baby had one on anytime you take them out. just roll the front a little higher so it doesnt slip as easily.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The whole reason for the baby hats is because babies loose body heat through their heads and they are not always able to maintain a warm enough temperature (total body temp) without the little hats.... As for finding some small enough, maybe check some preemie sizes if baby #2 is as small as the first, at least for the first little while, they need to maintain the body temp
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 3:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I know the gift stores in the hospitals sells ones they use in the hospital.
    My son had those typical hospital ones and they were super stretchy - but perfect for little noggins and/or preemies.
    They're not exactly necessary - but newborns tend to lose a lot of heat through their head.
    Just make sure to feel him every once in a while to see if he's too chilly - but I was always told by my pedi - if you're dressed comfortably and warm enough, more than likely, you're baby is warm as well.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I use alot of those body suits with the hoods attached to it, b/c my 1st did that too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• they dont really have to unless its cold or windy out
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I forgot to add. This baby is due in April. So it won't be really cold outside.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• the little hat can be cut down, the need for them is to help your little one retain body heat, an infant can not regulate their body temp well and thus the wrap them up and hat helps keep them warm
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 3:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• If you're putting something on the kid that could be a suffocation hazard, there's a problem. I have yet to see any bit of clothing that can cause suffocation unless it involves strings around the neck...and that's a whole other issue.

They lose a lot of body heat through their heads. They should wear them for a while, but no, they're not required. Get preemie sizes if newborn sizes don't work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• This just made me think of something funny...My youngest was born August of 2008 and he would NOT keep those little hats on, the nursery staff and the nurses just thought that it was hilarious! Apparently most babies (including my oldest) don't care if they have one on in the hospital, they are too busy sleeping and adjusting, my my LO! Every time someone would put one on him he would have it off in a few minutes!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• "If you're putting something on the kid that could be a suffocation hazard, there's a problem. I have yet to see any bit of clothing that can cause suffocation unless it involves strings around the neck...and that's a whole other issue."

Anything that a baby can (and will) pull over his or her face can cause them to suffocate. I didn't keep putting the hats on him after I discovered this. I would in no way EVER harm my child in anyway. And if you think I would then please just move on. Your 2 cents isn't needed here.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2009