ABCs and Numbers?

I would like real moms, not just experts, to tell me when they started to teach their kids the abcs and numbers.

Skylors_mom2007

Asked by Skylors_mom2007 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• O and with the numbers the reason he learned them so much faster was because he had so much fun with it. We taught him his colors the same time.. we would tell him the color of something like M&Ms and then count some. And as he learned it, we would ask him the colors and have him count them.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• When they started showing an interest. We have some of those wooden blocks with letters, numbers, symbols, words, pictures on them. As they would build, they'd ask, "What that?" and I'd tell them what it was...letter, number, symbol or whatever.

They could then recognize their numbers and letters before they knew what "order" they went in...which to us is more important anyway.

It didn't happen fast...it was over months when they picked it up. But we just did it by playing and reading...all going by how interested they are in it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I started when he was two. He is good with numbers but still confusing ABCs because we didnt work with that as much. He will say them but sometimes miss letters or say other letters instead. So now i am working more on the letters, saying them with him and taking one letter at a time and teaching him how to draw them. He is a 3 will be 4 in Feb.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• OH...age wise, one was about 12 months, one was closer to 15 months (he's 3 now and can sound words out! ) and the last one was closer to 2 before he showed interest. He knows most of them, but at almost 3 still doesn't know them all.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• As a teacher, my son heard me on a daily basis (while in the womb) as I taught my students (at work). When he was born, I was too tired to remember nursery rhymes, so I made up a song to the tune of the ABC song, but I would also sing the phonemes (sounds that the letters make) and I would sing the song using numbers. We often got up to 150 before he fell asleep. I also talked to him constantly, like an adult. My son is quite verbal.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• When students recognize signs, it's a pr-reading skill.
    Peace and Love
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 4:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Flash cards, watching stuff like the letter factory and the math circus, counting with them, looking at all the leters in words. Finding a way to make it a daily part of life. Also reading to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Ever since my daughter has been born I've been singing her the ABC and doing number's with her toes. We have flash cards to that we use once in awhile.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Keep in mind there is a huge difference between recognizing their letters, and just being able to recite them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Truthfully from birth. We counted up and down the steps and I pointed out letters and numbers on everything we saw etc. I started flash cards and stuff around 18 months.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009