how do you get a 1 y/o to listen.

UGH! I try everything. He doesn't listen. He thinks he's funny and I"m not laughing to egg him on! I've spanked his hand and butt, he laughs. Tried taking him away from the situation. He laughs and goes back and back and back! I've tried just putting him in his playpen. Nothing I do will make him listen and he thinks things are funny and does what he's not supposed to on purpose. I want to pull my hair out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's got you on a string! Smart man has already learned how to control you! This started at birth. YOU are the parent. Mean what you say and do NOT under-estimate what he comprehends. NO means NO.  You are able to hold his arms or hands, look firmly in his eyes and say (firmly) "No, we do NOT _______.  We do ____ THIS way ____ (and show him).  Role model, momma.  Teach him listening now.  Do an internet search.  Parenting isn't as easy as it used to be.

Have a time out area.  Stand there ifyou need to and be his barrier to the area he wants to go in....  Do not make it fun, be as serious as you can be.  Start now.   

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• i cant give you an answer on what to do because im having the same problem my son is in the same stage he is 17 months old and smart as a whip. and i try to look him in the face and say no and he laughs and yes it makes us laugh too, whitch it dont help. so dont feel alone im right there with ya on this one .
    kristi_prncess_

Answer by kristi_prncess_ at 4:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Keep working on this. It's about being consistent. If you aren't, you will have a rude awakening in your future. My son, also too smart, was the same way, but with consistency, he will learn. I got to the point where all I had to do was to look at him and he would walk to time-out when he knew he was wrong. "The Look" also worked in public, when time-out wasn' available. He just knew. They just like to test us. We are learning about our children while they learn about us.

Be a hands-on mom, get off the couch or computer and just do it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I would encourage you to really look at him... is what he doing age appropriate ... by the age of 15 mo a lot of autistic behaviors start to show... if this is not the case... i would look at positive reinforcement try every 5 min finding something he is doing good, reward him with a fruit chew... when he does something "bad" don't let him push your buttons, tell him "something will happen" then if he can not really get hurt, let it happen... or do something unexpected/illogical as your consequence this should help him get the cause and effect part of learning that he doesn't appear to be connecting... good luck, you might even look at putting him in a day care to help him learn the social skills and give you a break...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 4:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• u don't get a 1 yr old to listen put him in a safe place till youu regain ur whits
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 5:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009