Piercings!

Would you pierce your baby's ears?

I'm having a girl and everyone asks me am i going to pierce her ears.

is it ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I peirced DDs ears when she was 4-5 months old. she cried for a minute, and then was fine. havent had any problems, like her pulling on them or infections, except that when I want to taken them out and clean them, she is very squirmy and they are hard to get back in!! lol
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 7:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• It's "okay" if you think it's okay. I'm going to let my 2 year old get her ears pierced on her 3rd birthday (probaly). She has asked to have them pierced and I don't see a problem with it. She's your daughter dear, do what you want to.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• YOu should wait until they get the 1 st round of shots at least. Have it done in the Dr.s office. I resent getting my DD's done. She is allergic to almost all earrings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I have 2 girls and they will get them pierced when they are old enough to decide. Not my body (and I am a multiple pierced mom)
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I don't think it's ok to cosmetically alter someone's body without their consent. I disagree with piercing babies ears. My DD is almost 4, and has been asking for quite some time, and she knows what is involved. I'm taking her with my next paycheck. If you DO decide to get it done, as an infant, child or adult, I recommend taking her to a licensed piercer that uses a needle rather then a gun.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Well it is legal, but IMO not okay. For one as they grow their earis may grow slightly differnelty and the holes will not be lined up as mine did even though they are lined up at birth. Second I personally do not feel it is my right to cosmetically alter my child's appearnace without their consent so when either child is old enough to ask for it and understand what it means then I will take them to a licensed piercer and not some place in the mall with teenagers doing it. I too have multiple piercings and was not allowed to get piercing #2 until I was old enough to take care of it and the others not until I was 18.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• It's okay,but,wait until she get her first shots. I pierced my daughters ear myself with sleeper earings when, they were 4 weeks old, but, I'm talking about 35 yrs. ago. When, I got my ears done, my aunt was still using a needle and thread,lol, a long time ago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Do what you want but I think it's weird to have people asking you before she's even born, whether you will do something that superficial.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 5:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• "I have 2 girls and they will get them pierced when they are old enough to decide. Not my body (and I am a multiple pierced mom) "

I agree 100% !! People look at me weird when I joke about having my sons ears pierced but then say "Well if he was a girl you could" WTF? seriously? There isn't a difference IMO it's their body their choice.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I believe its okay. All the girls in my family got pierced ears when they were 3 months old. Including myself. Just because my ears are pierced, doesnt mean i feel obligated to wear earrings. I hardly wear earrings but im not hating my mom for piercing my ears.
    Do what you want, but they are totally fine.
    Napuas_mommie

Answer by Napuas_mommie at 6:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009