How do you feel when a President says.....?

God Bless America?
Any President? When he is adressing the nation? School Children?

I ask because there is a growing amount of high school kids who were not allowed to reference God in Graduation Speeches this past summer.

What's the difference in your opinion? Where is the 'line' drawn on what is accpetable and what isn't?
I think anyone can say whatever they want. As long as they are not insulting ANOTHER religion. But then are the atheists insulted when the President says God Bless America?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am religiously unaffiliated, therefore, I am not insulted. I do like to choose to say god or not as I have never been indoctrinated and still value my right to choose.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 4:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I personally don't like it but I don't have a problem with other people (students in speeches for example) saying it or other religion related things. It's all about tolerance and free speech. I just personally draw the line at public school officials and religion being intertwined.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 4:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No, I don't have a problem with it. I usually don't have any issue when people use a reference like that. If a Muslim student or speaker wrote a speech that my child or myself would be hearing and they said Praise Allah at the end of the speech, it would not bother me at all. Its not them telling me to praise Allah, its them saying it for themselves.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Crissy~That is pretty much how I feel. But I feel like in some cases the high school students were denied their right to speak free because someone complained and the ACLU stepped in and banned them.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• If he didn't say it, then all you evangelicals and right wingers would get your knickers in a knot and something else to complain about..Flag Pin?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Oh don't get me started on ACLU, you can't even imply there is a higher power.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Until the non-Abrahamic religion following people outnumber the Abrahamic religion following people, you cannot get (re)elected without saying it, whether you believe what you say or not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Good point, NotPanicking.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The Pres has a right to say it. He doesn't have the right to require others to say it. The Pres is protected under freedom of speech, too.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Agree with np. While I myself am a Christian, you've got a whole bunch of people who appear to be pretending to be just to hold office. Why? I'd rather have an honest, sensible agnostic representing me than someone who starts out pretending to believe what I do.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009