Do you hate starlings?

I'll make the link live in the first post, but I saw this last night about starlings being the most hated bird. I always think it's so cool when millions of them fly over so thick they darken the sky, and how they fill tree after tree when they light for rest. And the Borg-like fashion in which they do so. I've always liked the starling flocks, and my daughter does, too -- she used to call them pepper. It's a household staple now, any time more than three black birds in a group are spotted -- "ooooh, mom, look; pepper!" The Feline-American kids also love starling season...well, except for the one it makes hide under the bed. But he's scared of his own tail.

The most hated bird in North America? Really? That's just harsh.

roachiesmom

Asked by roachiesmom at 4:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Not starlings, Canadian geese. They're rough, too. Anytime we lived in a place near water they would come over in gangs and fight each other. I've come to hate the sound of their honk. My husband wonders why they can't be hunted for food. Then there's geese poop.

LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Every time we hear geese, we all stop what we are doing and watch for them. it's habit from waiting on the school bus. That and we are obviously all three very easily entertained. I also love seagulls, another bird many hate.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I wonder if your seagulls are the same sort of tern as Lake Michigan seagulls. I grew up with them and of course left home so now when I see one it reminds me. I suppose if I was living there now with a house and a yard I'd be frustrated.

Many people enjoy watching birds, you know. I enjoyed the Mallard families even though the dads are, uh, not very nice, and the beautiful, strong blue heron.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I am ever so grateful for the geese who fly over my house every morning--more than a few times, they have saved me from my forgotten alarm clock!
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 8:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009