My son has decided to protest against one of his MAIN meals: sweet potatoes and carrots. Help!

What happened? I put cinnamon in it, he has always loved it for dinner. Could he be sick of it? He has it probably 75% of the time for dinner and now I don't know what to do.

Any ideas on something cheap and yummy that I can make for my 9 month old for dinner? I'd prefer things that I can cook up in a large quantity and use multiples times a week. We, as a family don't usually eat dinner (husband works late most nights, so we're both just used to it). Dinner night is usually a couple times every other week, so giving our son what WE eat isn't going to happen for dinner. My husband gives him a variety each day for breakfast (blueberry waffle, applesauce, cut up fruit, whole wheat toast) and I mix things up for lunch too (cheese bites, simple little sandwich bites, cut up fruit, chicken nuggets, etc).

He's basically missing out on his veggies the most now that he's started hating sweet potatoes, squash, pees AND carrots.

ours

Asked by ours at 4:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd try something different, he's probably getting tired of it, I wouldn't bring that back out for a couple of weeks.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I figured that, I just couldn't find any simple but yummy recipes for dinner so that I can change his dinner for a while.

Any ideas? Something that I can make enough of for a couple weeks, then switch to something else when it runs out?
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• you could cook them up ahead of time and then freeze small amount ... this would let you rotate his veggies out every day and you can have something else if needed, I would think that having the same veggie all week would get old, you can color some of the foods too, sometimes kiddos get drawn to a color of the food... color your applesauce ... blue... color your butter... add color to help him try new and old foods... have fun with it.... good luck
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 4:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• He won't eat most veggies on their own like squash, carrots, and pees. Could I just make something in the crock pot for him?
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Give him something else then
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I reccomend this website http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ i prepare food off this website all the time for my son, i made him mac and cheese today and he loved it! They have rice balls, grilled cheese, pretty much anything your baby can eat will be on this site! I hope it helps, maybe just try offering it to him in another way, mix it with pasta or make it into a pancake, something that looks different but still has all the yummy nutriens in it =)
    Aussiemum85

Answer by Aussiemum85 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Give him fruit...fruit is more important. You can also try green smoothies - blend fruit with greens. My son loves them.

My son didn't have a proper meal until he was nearly 2. There is no big rush.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Give him what you would eat, but,put it in a blender. Try mashed cauliflower, mashed mixed vegetables but, put apple juice in it. Using an apple juice or another juice is better than using sugar, you can even use juice,when mixing his baby cereal.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Thanks to the people who actually read the entire question. I remember that site from when I stumbled upon it a few months ago, thanks for giving me the web address, I totally forgot what it was called until now!

FYI-I just noticed the natural soup that we had in the cabinet that I didn't really like, but maybe he will. I just heated up in the sauce pan, blended it, and put it in the fridge for later. I'll probably add some oatmeal cereal stuff to thicken it a little since it's still a little too thin to stay in his spoon.

Thanks again to the moms that helped!
    ours

Answer by ours at 6:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• We never did veggies. My son has always been so underweight that we only gave him the high calorie foods. Before 1 year they get all they need from breastmilk or formula, so you don't really need to worry about it. It's all about taste and texture for now. It's possible he's tired of them, but not likely. Most babies love routine, and tend to prefer the same foods over different ones (at least that is what our nutritionist told us). I have a cook book for babies/toddlers that I got from Whole Foods. It has so many creative suggestions for each stage. It's called "First Meals" by Annabelle Karmel. Great book!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2009