Is there a difference between store-brand formula and Enfamil?

MollieDoll

Asked by MollieDoll at 4:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A minor one, it's the fillers they use which make the difference, not the main ingredients.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• If you take a look at the labels, you will find the same ingredients and the same nutritional facts. The FDA has extremely strict guidelines that ALL formula makers must follow. Store Brand formula is an EXCELLENT way to save money while not sacrificing your baby's nutritional needs.
    In fact, Consumer Reports puts it best in its Best Baby Products Guide:

“Is the store brand as good as the national brand? It has to be. According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), all formula marketed in the U.S> must meet the same nutrient specifications, which are set at levels to fulfill the needs of infants. Although infant-formula manufacturers may have their own proprietary formulations, brand-name and store-brand formula must contain at least the minimum levels of all nutrients specified in FDA regulations, without exceeding maximum levels, where those are specified.”
    MommyBrainRpts

Answer by MommyBrainRpts at 5:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Nothing really.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No. If you're worried do like I did and compare every single ingredients and you will see they are nearly identical.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The main ingredients are usually the same and if you read the nutritional facts on the backs of both kinds they usually match up. I do not know how true it is for formulas, but usually generics are made by the big name companies anyway as additional revenue for them.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I compared the ingedients and there was only one difference i could find in the composition so nutritionally, yes they have to be the same. HOWEVER...
    I bought the sensitive parents choice formula for dd and while she didnt have any different response than she did with the similac sensitive i noticed that the parents choice formula didnt mix up as easily. Like it didnt scoop out the same way.
    Not really a big deal and if I wasnt getting help through wic i would use it but there is a SLIGHT difference.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 6:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I bought Parent's Choice formula for my son and guess what?! It was $14, versus $26 for Enfamil. He took it just fine.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree with those who use Parents Choice over Enfamil. I am using the parents choice that is compared to Enfamil Gentlease (for babies with fussiness and gas).

First I bought small can of Enfamil (way too expensive) then switched to the Parents Choice-my son is doing just fine & I am spending WAY less money per can!

I do understand though that if you need a specific type of formula (say hypoallergenic or something) sometimes there is not a store brand equivalent so that would be a reason to buy name brand. Otherwise I'd say go for store brand:)
    Mommy0568

Answer by Mommy0568 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Thank you for all of yours answers, they were all very helpful!
    MollieDoll

Answer by MollieDoll at 10:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2009