How do you feel about rules in general?

We have a rule on my son's football team, if you do not practice- you do not play. There are a few families going out of town for fall break and are upset their children will be benched for part of the game. I think that since you knew the rules before you signed up you just have to decide if the vacation is worth the consequences. If so, go on vacation- if not, stay home.
Are you a rule follower or do you sign up for activities (not just sports) without reading the rules or do you think that rules are silly and its OK to break them? Just wondering if I am off base here... I think if you know the rules up front you should: follow them, work to change them or take whats coming when you break them. I think that to let each do what works for them is too complicated and in many ways unfair to those that follow the rules. Your thoughts?

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's just like starting a new job, if, you tell the employer that the vacation was already paid for and planned at the time of the interview,they can not hold that against you. My DD is a cheerleader, there is only certain times we can go on vacation, I make arrangements in advance,so,my DD can still be on the team. We also have a rule in church,if,you don't make rehearsal,you can't sing, unless you have a good reason,like illness,family issues. We must realize we all love rules, but, there is times a rule have to be broken and made up.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My son just started trumpet this year. He had to take a few classes during the summer. If he didn't attend the first week don't bother attending the second or third weeks because they don't have time to catch them up. Now those children will be behind because the parents didn't attend. I think knowing that they stressed how important these courses were parents should have made a better effort to make these classes. I agree with the rules.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think that some rules don't work for everyone and are actually causing a problem instead of solving one. Like on the team i'm sure the practice rule is there to keep kids from only showing up to the games. I would say that they should probably try if you miss so many practices in a certain period of time then you can't play a certain percentage of the games. I like rules that solve problem not rules that cause them.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 5:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree with mrsjonsy.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I am a big believer in rules. I agree with you - they knew the kids would have to practice to play. It's a slap in the face to those who bothered to show up for practice. I just don't feel like vacation schedules should figure in when deciding on rules for any of that stuff.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Yeah, God forbid people take family vacations! How awful of them. Terrible, terrible parents. The rule is stupid. I agree with MrsJonsy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• ANON 529- You can go on vacation, you just have to sit out for part of the game if you do. There are plenty of time for vacations , why does it have to be Fall Break?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

Yeah, why take vacation during a break? How stupid of them. It would be much better to miss class than precious football practice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Yeah, why take vacation during a break? How stupid of them. It would be much better to miss class than precious football practice.

OR you could always take one when you won't miss school or practice like oh... summer, spring or Christmas - that way you can follow through on your commitment AND vacation- what a concept silly ANON!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• OR you could always take one when you won't miss school or practice like oh... summer, spring or Christmas - that way you can follow through on your commitment AND vacation- what a concept silly ANON!

Hmmm, there are many sports during the winter and spring too you effing moron and sometimes people can't get vacation time during the summer if they don't have seniority. The rule is stupid and so are you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2009