I have a 2 year old with down syndrome mild but she does not speak but she does sign i have a speech therapist and a teacher come to the house once a week what can i do to help her speak ? can anyone help give me some pointers ?

are any of you moms going though this or have already gone through this?

sweetp33

Asked by sweetp33 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I bought a book on Amazon to help me with a mildly autistic 2yo. "Let's Talk Together" by Cory Poland and Amy Chouinard. Look into it. It has many activities. The best activity was when we went to a farm and I took pix of him with the animals. I gave his mom the pix to make a book. He LOVES it!! They look at the pix and make the animals sounds and say the names of the animals. We're going to do the same for a playdate at the park.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• i love it when our children sightsee with us, like a nature walk, or just a park with swings, slides, other children sharing, picnics, pumpkin farms, with the hayrides, we don't do pics now due to the cost. They pretty much like puzzles, and lego building, imaginext toys, (they snap together), maybe this is over 2 with these, but some duplo blocks ar nice or just plain blocks of wood those beginner building toy sets. Ours also loved to have peers of that age. Some children feel included in this exposure when a routine is available. If you could, get a little tykes backyard slide, fort combo, they aren't cheap but should you ask on some freecycle sites you may find one. I hope all these are what you're searching to get from these answers, Keep asking.......................
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Maybe get some older teens with child care experience come and help around with her. They
    can get on floor and do puzzles, and offer to push her around if still in a stroller, like to the store, and take her along to buy a treat, but for growth, speech, etc, I know nothing better than word repetition, to help them get their minds hooked on words. Their are books that help and I know sesame street is really a great model to children learning. Possibly try to get her into swim therapy, or an excercize class like tumbling or just a stimulation group. We took ours to a group that sang, chanted rhymes, and gave little snacks. They learned to ball toss, and roll on mats, and dance. Some groups are offered at the Ywca or Ymca, and local social service groups. Like Jewish family centers, and private child care centers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• my two year old had pdd-nos and sensory intergration disorder.. We are getting all the therapies.. he wasn't really talking until we got him a mp3 player with kids songs on it.. (we did it for the sensory needs) we did that three months ago, and he is starting to talk. i don't know why it is working; if it is the music or the repition maybe the rythm.. i don't know.. but it is working for us. i would try to see if listening to nursery rhymes, seasme street songs, raffi etc. would help her.. it won't hurt. i went to the local library and uploaded children's music to his mp3 player.. so it didn't cost me anything.

amygray

Answer by amygray at 8:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009