ABCs and Numbers?

Thanks to those who answered my last question. I don't know why it closed but I was really looking for an age range as to when your kids started to understand them. My son is 2 1/2 and can recite all the letters with you, A-F by himself if he really tries and can pick out the letters A-F on paper and tell me what they are. He can count to 10 with a little help and is really starting to grasp that 1 means 1 thing there and 2 means 2 things there, ect. He also has a very good vocabulary. Though we are working on total pronunciation he can talk as well as some 3 year olds I know. I just work with him everyday and encourage him learning at his own pace. I have never pushed him. Hope to get more feedback! Thanks all!

Skylors_mom2007

Asked by Skylors_mom2007 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He sounds a little ahead to me!

My dd is 21 mos and knows her alphabet to F recognizing and knowing the letter, counts to 10 recognizing the numbers and knows the colors black, pink, brown, and white without help but blue, yellow, purple, and red with help. Orange is red no matter how many times I say orange! She also knows all her shapes. My dd just started talking 2 mos ago so we are working on pronunciation and vocabulary as well as trying to figure out what she is saying... I swear she learns 5 new words a day but I can only understand one.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:00 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• he sounds brilliant!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 5:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I am not really sure what your question is... but my 21/2 year old seems to be on the same level as your son. She can talk very well. She can count to 15 and she knows most of her abc's. She knows a lot of songs and can do puzzles but we are still working on colors. Every kid learns differently. I try to incorporate learning into everyday things like. Counting steps, separating laundry by colors, and talking about shapes when we empty the dishwasher. My daughter also likes the web games that teach and songs on you tube. She does not like t just sit and do flashcards like that, I have found if I try to force learning on her she is not interested and will not even try,

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My daughter is 18 months and can count to 3 by herself but needs help and further lol... the abc's on the other hand... she use to be able to say them back but now she just stops at b and starts saying babie! ((im pregnant so we try explaining to her that there a baby in mommy's tummy and she understand we think.. she lifts my shirt and pats and kisses my tummy and says baby)) But you 2 and 1/2 year old sounds either right on and proble even advanced!!! just keep working with him and making it fun!!
    mommywifeteen89

Answer by mommywifeteen89 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• He sounds pretty right on. Don't put too much stock in reciting the letters, though. That's not knowing them. Just keep going at his pace and make it fun!!! You're doing well!

My 3 year old is advanced (tested so) and recognizes letters, knows the sounds, sounds out words, blends to read the word and can sound out a word to write it down (he also writes all his letters, a skill not expected at his age, per his therapists)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2009