Going into labor before scheduled...

Looking for someone who may have had a similar situation occur...

I'm scheduled for a c section on Sept. 30th due to the fact that my son is already 7 lbs and is breech. I have a gut feeling that I'm not going to make it that long. I just KNOW he's going to come before then. Hopefully I'll be wrong, but if I do go into labor...will this still be considered a planned c section...or an emergency one? Will they rush me into surgery bc they don't want me to deliver vaginally, or let me proceed for a certain amount of time through labor? I'm just really nervous that things WON'T go as planned now, and I don't know what to think. :(

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 5:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Emergency, probably.
    Is it because of the baby's position? Would you like to have a vaginal delivery? Have you tried to turn baby, naturally?

Things don't usually go as planned, he. But there are things we can do to be ready for about anything. I suppose that is Mother Nature's way of preparing us for Motherhood.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You know, they should have told you that a lot of babies turn spontaneously during labor. There is NO REASON why you can't go into labor and see how it goes.

And don't take that 7lb number with more than a hefty grain of salt. Ultrasound predictions are notoriously off (they should have told you that). There are a number of women on cafemom where were told they were going to have a "big baby" and ended up with 6lb small babies -- and many born pre-term because of the mad dash to induce. Besides...7lbs is NOT big..neither is 8, 9, or 10 lbs. Heavy doesn't translate into big! Some babies are built like torpedos, and a small baby can be bulky with fat. What matters more is if there is time given for the head to mold naturally and if a woman isn't rushed or augmented just becaue it.

It is just a sad thing that the US is so backward when it comes to breech -- most can be delivered vaginally just fine
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I would have liked to have a vaginal delivery, of course, but I know it's much safer in this case, due to his position, to have the c section. Suffocation is a risk, and especially since he's measuring large. The Dr. said that he doesn't think it's a good idea to try to turn the baby himself because my placenta is in the front, and that it can be harmful, and rarely works. I've read quite a bit about it, and it's true that an anterior placenta is more commonly the case with breech babies. I'm just crossing my fingers that I make it to the scheduled surgery...I may even talk to my Dr about moving it up a week, which he said should pose no risks or problems...just to be safe.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• By the way, they can't make you do anything. You can refuse their suggestions. Do some more research. Also, you can visit www.spinningbabies.com for help in non-invasive ways to try and encourage the baby to turn to a favorable position. Though, like I said, some babies don't want to turn until labor is well under way, then they just flip.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I've read that an anterior placenta placement makes a c-section more difficult and more likely to cause hemmorage. I'd check up on that too.

I have to say again, that his position now is not necessarily the position he'll be in during labor. There is no reason to assume an emergency when it hasn't happened yet.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Amileegirl, while I know that most breech babies can be delivered safely, I'd rather not risk it. I'll take the longer healing time if it means less chance of death for my baby. I've researched it extensively, and there is definitely an increased risk of death in breech babies. Doctors can actually now get sued for malpractice if something happens because breech vaginal deliveries have been proven to be much more dangerous and the Dr.'s are heavily advised to perform a c section in this case. Also, he was estimated at 7 lbs a week ago, a month from the scheduled surgery. I also have a small pelvic cavity and the Dr. told me early on that if the baby got too large that I may not be able to give birth vaginally. The guy has been delivering babies for 35 years, so I'm gonna trust him. They are, however, going to give me an ultrasound before the c section to make sure he hasn't turned.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Im wondering who told you suffocation is a risk of breech babies and how a section is safer than vaginal breech delivery..
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 5:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• "I've read that an anterior placenta placement makes a c-section more difficult and more likely to cause hemmorage. I'd check up on that too.

I have to say again, that his position now is not necessarily the position he'll be in during labor. There is no reason to assume an emergency when it hasn't happened yet."

I was worried about that with my placenta originally, and did research it. My Dr. said he's dealt with that situation many, many times without any problems. While they have to cut through it, he said the excess blood should even be enough to require me to have to receive any additional. He said considering the fact that they're so aware of it that it should be no problem. If it is, that'll suck, but like I said...I'd rather risk my own health than my babies.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• "Im wondering who told you suffocation is a risk of breech babies and how a section is safer than vaginal breech delivery.. "

Various Dr.'s from multiple sites and books.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• "I was worried about that with my placenta originally, and did research it. My Dr. said he's dealt with that situation many, many times without any problems. While they have to cut through it, he said the excess blood should even be enough to require me to have to receive any additional. He said considering the fact that they're so aware of it that it should be no problem. If it is, that'll suck, but like I said...I'd rather risk my own health than my babies."

Typo correction...the excess blood *shouldn't* be enough to require me to receive any.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2009