How's this for Chicago-style thugery?

Family members who primarily care for adult disabled relatives being strong armed by union representatives to join!

From the article:

"Caregivers who vote against joining a union or don't vote at all would get to choose whether to become members if SEIU or AFSCME receives the most votes, but even if they decline to join, they will have to pay "fair share" dues, according to union representatives."

(That means whether or not you join the union you will still have to pay a part of the stipend you receive SSDI on behalf of the person(s) you care for).

"Union advocates have promised families that they will find a way to increase their monthly stipends from the state, which change annually because they are based on federal Supplemental Security Income [SSI] payments."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-caregivers-unionsep03,0,4172799.story

What do you think?!

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 5:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• And I live near the windy city. Obama is the political fruits of the corrupt Mayor Daley machine. My mother taught me you are the " company you keep! "

www.barackbook.com

blondekosmic15

Answer by blondekosmic15 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I am not shocked by this at all. Unions will grow more powerful under Obama and that is not a good thing. After being in a home burned down by angry union people when my dad after a year went to work because he could not feed us during a strike. They blocked the doors and nearly killed our entire family this makes me afraid for many workers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Just lovely. Sadly though, nothing surprises me anymore. The world is just full of Chicago thugs & dirtbags. Hell, look at our "president." lol
    sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 5:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

_________
    Agree!
    I remember you telling your story and I am so sorry that your family had to endure such an awful event.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Pathetic. Curious to know if this will make the news on ABC, CBS, or NBC? Just a thought...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Probably not, grlygrlz. Sad, isn't it?
    sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• OMG anon! That is horrible.

Someone asked the other day if we felt that people still cared about other people. I said I thought they did, but this type of thing makes me thing I could be wrong about some people. I guess the unions care, as long as you don't get between them and their union benefits. Sick bastards (the one's that set fire to your home).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Hey we are not all thugs here in the Chicago area and besides that Chicago thinks it speaks for the whole state! Many people think like me...if he did this to our state what is going to happen to the country!
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• That is really sad and pathetic.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• It will be US style thugery soon enough at the rate Obama is going.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2009