(Christians)Does your church do infant baptism what about immersion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm Catholic, so yes we do infant baptism. I think some Churches do immersion but I've never seen it in one I've gone to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Believer's baptism is by immersion. No wonder there is so much confusion about what it takes to be saved. So many religions baptize infants. They try to change the way people are saved.
    Our old nature is to "die" and we are to be "buried with Him through baptism into death" and raised to "walk in newness of life" (live like Jesus). So we do not just try to be a better person, we bury the "old person" in the water and become a "new person" through our acceptance of Christ. It is like a new birth and a new beginning for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My church (Methodist) does infant baptisms (we haven't had our son baptized, though, we would rather he wait until he makes the decision).

Usually the baptisms at my church are sprinklings, but I've assisted in an immersion baptism before for my church (we had a Jewish woman convert, and she wanted a river baptism).

Baptism is merely the symbol of giving your life to God, of washing your sins away. The actual action of it (giving your life to God and washing your sins away) is what gives salvation, not the mere symbol of baptism.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• *I should have said sprinklings of all ages, as not ONLY infants are baptised....
    bandgeek521

• You can't baptize an infant, that's not part of biblical teachings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Infant baptism is pretty much the same as an infant dedication, except they actually baptize the infant - but its the same concept - the parents make the promise to raise the child in a Godly home, and then when the child reaches a mature age s/he goes through confirmation to accept the promises made at the baptism and promises to live up to them and to live a Godly life.

Its pretty much the same concept, its just a different way of going about it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My church (Presbyterian) does infant Baptism which is a Baptism and dedication (we do not Christen). It mirrors the sign of the Old Covenant (circumcision) on 8 day old babies with the sign of the New Covenant (Baptism). We will also do believer's baptism for those who have not been Baptised before or who really feel they'd like to be Baptised again.

We do not believe that the mode (infant/believer's/sprinkling/emmersion) of baptism is important. Being baptised is important. Therefore, we will baptise according to how the individual feels that they are called to be baptised. This is generally sprinkling but we have immersed people, including infants. We use a decorated tub of some sort. I doubt they dunk the baby all the way under but then again, I can't really see that well from where I'm sitting in the church either lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Baptism is for believers. And, it isn't just a covenant you can make for an infant. When you baptize infants and small children, you rewrite how to be saved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Baptism illustrates a believer's identification with Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. Romans 6:2 ...We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? (How did the infant make the decision to die to sin?) Romans 6:3-4 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• But NO ONE who is baptized is sinless, for we ALL sin. A child can be raise to try not to sin just as an adult can try not to sin, but we ALL sin, no one is sinless.

Again, baptism is a symbol, not the act of salvation itself.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2009