NON-Catholics-how often do you receive communion? Is it a symbol? How do you view Communion with the Bible quote "this is my body"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is my body this is my blood take eat take drink .... similar Catholic or not. It means the same thing in the Episcopal religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• WE have communion once a month at my church, thats just how they do it. They quote scripture, this is my body... etc. and is done the same way as the catholic church from what I've seen. Communion is only for the body of Christ, if you are not apart of the body of Christ (meaning you have no personal relationship with Christ) than it is discouraged and every individual makes that assessment for themselves. Also, when we take the bread we do not believe it to literally be Christ's body and when we drink the wine (or grapejuice is what we use) we do not believe it to be Christ's actual blood.... its just to remind us of what Christ did for us on the cross, but we take communion very seriously, it is sacred and important.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• my homechurch (baptist) observed twice annually..my dh's homechurch(episcopal) -every service..the methodist church we attended for several months-last sunday/month..and the presbyterian church we've attended since september '08...so far, only twice-not really sure what their schedule is.
    for me, communion is symbolic of christ's sacrifice on the cross, to his death for the atonement of sin. luke 22--.'' do this in remembrance of me.'' the bread represents christ's body, and the wine, his shed blood.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• It is very serious. It is symbolic for Jesus dying for us. Jesus said do this in remembrance of me. Jesus didn't say the bread will give you life. Jesus said He is the bread from heaven that gives life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• In my church I believe it is Once a month. I never make it on communion. However this last time I went they had one and it was SO different than what I was used to. I was like COOOLLL!
    They use real wine and also grape juice. They use Chalices and pour the wine and then they have bread in pieces and you dip the bread in the wine and take communion that way. I did the real wine and the bread! It was soooo much more real to me for some reason!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• We have it 1-2 times per month. My denom does not believe in transubstantiation but rather "Real Presence" (I'm pretty sure that's the official doctrine of my denom) which is similar with minute but important differences (I can explain them if someone really wants me to).

I personally reject both philosophies. I believe in symbolism of the communal elements only. It's still bread, it's still wine. the Holy Spirit is of course present (not "in" the elements but with the people and with us in worship) because we are a gathering of believers but bread is bread and wine is wine. That's JMHO.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Jesus shed his blood on the cross. It is a one time sacrifice for ever. We don't have to get it over and over again at church.

and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. (Col 1:20)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Just like Precious333 said. We use individual cups and broken up pieces of an unlevened plain cracker like bread. These are in trays which are served to us by the elders and pastoral staff. We allow any who are born again Christians to participate, you don't have to be a member and you examine your heart before communion.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Oh at least once a month if not more. Pastafarian communion involves a big plate of spaghetti and meatballs to represent His noodliness. Upon receiving communion follower do report a feeling of being full.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Trying to get a serious answers, and I get an idiot that is so afraid of Christians telling others about their beliefs she resorts to something stupid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2009