Homeschoolers?

How do you know your kids are at the level the should be? How do you know you are teaching them everything they need to know to succeed in college? I am interested in home schooling but I don't want to fail my son.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in

• Did you look into cyberschool?
    They still stay home but there are teachers.

PM me about it if you want some more info.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 6:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You can opt for your child to take the state standardized tests each year. This would allow you to compare your child to others in your area.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My son is not even 4 yet (he will be this fall) and we are just starting homeschooling this week, but I bought a curriculum that I trust to be complete, and I bought the book "What your kindergartner needs to know" they have those books all the way up through 6th grade I think.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 6:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I bought a curriculum to help keep us moving in the right direction, however, I'm not worried about my boys going to college. I will not force college on my children, however, if that is something they wish to do, than we will prepare for it when it gets closer.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• How do you know your kids are at the level the should be?

Homeschoolers have access to the same grade appropriate curriculum as schools have.  There are many books on the topic as well.  My kids do natl standardized tests as well, so I know how they compare.

How do you know you are teaching them everything they need to know to succeed in college?

Ditto what I said before.  Homeschoolers have incredible resources, and also have the advantage of being able to toss a lousy curriculum and replace it mid-year.  If a school invests in a lousy curriculum, they are stuck with it for years until the have funds to replace it. 

How old is your child that you are worried about college?

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Check out http://www.calvertschool.org/
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You can use a virtual school - usually a branch of the public school system so the child learns the same things as they would in public school at the same pace.

Boxed curriculums provide everything for every subject by grade level... that's an easy way to go.

If you're putting together your own curriculum, the "What Your _ Grader Needs To Know" series is VERY helpful. There are also several websites that state what is expected of students by the end of each grade level. When purchasing textbooks - sometimes they don't specify the grade level... but you can type in the ISBN into several online databases & usually find out what grade level the book is.

It's really not as hard as people think. :-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• YOu can pull up the board of education website and find out the main strands they should cover. Lower levels its pretty basic. I am considering homeschool due to everything that is going on in the news-plus I want to make my childrens education come alive. I want them to experience learning in a way that was never offered to me.. Hands on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I actually don't worry about those things. The standards for public schools don't apply to my children. What works best for an independent student, IMO, is to learn at his or her own pace and to not constantly be compared to others. Each child is different, therefore each child's education should be too.

High school does little to prepare most people for college. College is a whole different ball game. If my children decide they want to go to college, we will encourage them to dual enroll in their last couple of years of high school. They would take a couple of courses at the local college for which they would get both high school and advanced college credits. That would give them a much better idea of what college is like before they enroll full time.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2009