Do you honestly expect us to believe?

That if tomorrow's speech were to be broadcast around 'dinner' time that those of you who do not support Obama (or anything that isn't your idea) would actually watch it with your kids?

Cause that's what you're claiming now..."Oh the it isn't the 'stay in school' stuff that bothers us its him talking to our kids while we aren't there (for 15mins!); why can't they show it after school hours so we can watch it with them"

I for one don't believe for a nano-second that any of you detractors would watch the speech at home with your children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I wouldn't watch it if they broadcast it on every network on the dial, 24/7 for the next 6 weeks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I would, I am still going to watch it now. But I want my son with me while watching it. That is just how I feel about it and I am not going to APOLOGIZE for it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Why are we as parents not allowed to decide what WE FEEL is in our children's best interests? Do you also fight with those who do not vax their children, who need special accommodations, do not celebrate popular children's celebrations and holidays, or is it just because this is about the "all-wonderful" Obama, and we're not supposed to go against anything he says or does?

Did you agree with everything Bush said or did? Whatever happened to "Dissent is Patriotic?!" Or is this just more typical liberalism "do as I say, not as I do?"

Parents make plenty of mistakes raising their children--but at the time, and based on the information we have at the moment (whatever the issue may be--from curfew, to friends, to extracurricular activities), our intentions are good.

I'm pretty confident that even if this speech turns out to be the "end all" that my children will somehow be able to fill the "void" by not being able to see it.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'm not an Obama supporter, or follower, which is more fitting. My kids will be in school tomorrow, though. IF this were to be shown around dinner time, I would watch it with them. He's our President and is giving a speech on an important issue directly affecting our children. They should see it.

Also, I haven't been on CM in a few days, so I have no idea what you're talking about with the other moms who feel the way I do.

So YES, I expect you to believe it. Many republicans are not complete idiots!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• It's not up to me what you believe. I could come back here tomorrow night and say that my kids and I watched together and it could be a lie. Believe what you want (you already do).

Meanwhile, I won't worry whether you watch with your child or not, because it's none of my business.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• OP here:
    Lorikeet & the rest of you - it has nothing to do with supporting Obama or not - that is why I posted the ? anon; so you couldn't say which side of the isle I'm on.  (I'm not his biggest fan not that it should matter)

I do however think it is absurd that there are those that would keep their child home from school for a day because they don't want their child to hear the President of the United States (forget parties) telling them that staying in school and having goals is a good thing!

And I'm sorry QuinnMae but I think you are being overly optimistic. While I'm sure there are some open-minded conservatives out there as there are open-minded liberals; the ones screaming the loudest in the past few days aren't. And while they can claim all they like that their issue is only with no being present; they wouldn't watch anyway as the 1st reply pointed out.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The entire speech is available for anyone to read. All the moms saying they are keeping their children home need to read it before depriving their child of an entire day of academics for one 15-18 minute event.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 6:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I don't think I sounded optimistic. I just said that I can't control what you believe. I think there will be people that lie about watching it (on both sides, that do watch and say they don't and ones that don't watch but say that they did). I just don't know why it matters.

I wasn't one of those that would pull my son from school for a day just to avoid it. His school isn't showing it because of logistical reasons (they stated), not parent outcry. My personal issue wasn't with the message, it was the timing. I didn't (and still don't) see why it would be necessary to interrupt the children's school day to give a message that they hear consistently. But that's just me.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I am tivoing it and will watch it with my kids, sure...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

Exactly. I guess these ppl know what is being said to their child every second of every school day. Ppl need to understand that children are not possesions......
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2009