How much TV and how much computer time for 7 year old and 6 year old? How do you manage appropriate sites like Webkinz and Little Critter that allow access to YouTube? How do I control portions of these supposedly OK sites? Help in CT!!

Abyss4

Asked by Abyss4 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• One hour a day is plenty.

Children should not use the internet unsupervised.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The computer is really only necessary for homework/schoolwork. Kids really have no need for one. By children having too much computer use, they fail to learn valuable inter-personal social skills.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I do not regulate my 6 year old son on tv, video games, or computer time. If he spends 5 hours one day going between all three, it makes me no difference. I find all of it educational. There will be some days he doesn't do any of them. He loves to read, play outside, play board games, draw etc. He reads at a 6th grade level (he just started 1st grade), he does multiplication up to 5's, he makes up his own games for us to play (usually some sort of word game), he's learning French and Spanish (reading, writing, and speaking), he has lots of friends, and interacts with them just fine.

I have never seen him be able to access Youtube from Webkinz. I play on there sometimes and I've never done it either. He doesn't play on there much though. He has a few other sites he likes because they have racing games. He also like wikipedia.

I think it all depends on the kid when you choose how much time to allow for each.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• my daughter is 7yrs old. She has her own pc that was built for her by daddy. It is in the livingroom and has alot of games on it. Alot of learning games.(reading, spelling, math,etc). She has her own TV as well and has a Vsmile that she plays often. Now that school started back she doesn't get that much time on the TV or anything. She is out playing with her friends and doing her school work. After her school work is done. She might play a game on the PC or watch a show on TV. Her PC also has the internet that she can go on starfall and web sites like that. I have to put a password into every site. So we know what she goes on. And she has a list of learning/games websites that she is allowed to go into.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My 7 year old daughter doesn't really watch TV or get on the computer. But when she does she usually watches for at least two hours then it's off to cheer practice. As far as the computer and youtube I created an account for her and set the parental controls. She can only see age appropriate material on there. If she types in something accidentally that is not appropriate they ask for a password.
    miedreem

Answer by miedreem at 1:35 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• 6 and 7 shouldnt be online.
    TV Id say an hour or so . More time outside playing tho .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son has been watching to much tv during the summer we are thinking an hour or two a day of tv. I am homeschooling him this year and he will have to do some of his work on the computer.He hasnt been on the computer much, my hubby set up a login for him and he could only go to like 5 sites, but we lost it some how so its been awhile since he has been on. I wish I would have let him on more so he would know the computer better, he is 7 and in the 2nd grade, now a days kids are going to need to know how to work the computer. If you just want them to play on it just let them on sites for their age and if you cant figure how to block the bad ones tell them to stay on the site u put them on orr no computer and ask u what to do if they mess up if your not gonna sit with them.I would let them do the learning ones and not so many games or thats all they will want to do is the games
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 8, 2009