How many of you?

Have read the speech and are still not sending your child to school?

I read the speech, and I think that it is fine. It is the basic speech that both bushs, and clinton have addressed before in school. If you are not fine with "stay in school, Keep up the good work, etc" then it has to be another issue for you.

Racial?

Don't want to admit that you could possibly be wrong for once?

But I think people have taken this out of proportion. If this had anything "political" in it. Which it doesn't! I would have had a bit of a problem. But this is nothing!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As I have mentioned several times before, my 14 year old has watched almost every presidential address, press conference, candidates debate, etc., practically since birth. We discuss what was said, and why This is part of being a good citizen. I don't understand parents shielding their children from opinions that are different from their own; and why is it that only right-leaning parents do so?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My son's school says that they aren't showing it because of logistical reasons but they encourage anyone interested to view it on the website. I never intended to keep him out of school.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• For the love of Jesus...how many people are SICK AND TIRED of THIS topic. Oh and sick of people asking this question and NOT LISTENING TO THE ANSWERS!!!!!

Its NOT THE SPEECH honey, its the WH inserting its OWN curriculum into the school and wanting to control the childrens perceptions after the speech is given!

Can we call for a discalaimer at the top of these questions so we don't have to even open them!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My children will be there...but they are not allowed to view his speech as I do not trust the man. I don't believe he will stick to the speech he has posted for our review. He always has a secret agenda...just look at the past 7 months.
    sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My children will be at school. Even though their school won't beshowing it (partly because because of logistics) I will tivo it and let them watch it with me. 

They should have made this a public svc announcement recordable so kids could watch this during the appropriate lesson/timing.

The issue WAS NOT THE SPEECH, it was the Department of ED's 'lesson plan' and questions that were the problem.

The Department of Education should focus on why the children who STAY in school are ranking lower than most other industrialized nations.  Yet we spend more $$ per student than any other nation... This would be better use of taxpayer money INSTEAD of developing some poorly written questions that focus on what the children SHOULD do for the government.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I do not really support Obama's views but I think the speech is fine. I would not keep my children out of school because of it...although I do not like the idea of having the students write a paper.
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• According to the news in my area. They are just watching the speech, there is nothing in the schools saying ( here anways) that they have to write a paper. Now, If it was for high schoolers to write a paper. Then I understand. That is about the time they should start learning about politics and having an opinion ( view) on how they 'THINK" the government should be runned and what THEY can do to get their voices heard.

The paper writing isn't apporate for those younger then high school level." IF" they were going to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009