• In the Spotlight:

Help with my daughter

Hello ladies i am having a problem with my 5 year old.. She has been urinating in her toys.. Like her play kitchen sink, Her baby doll bassinet, boxes and sand buckets.. I dont know what to do anymore.. I only actually caught her once.. I have thrown away all of these items and just cleaned out her closet which she did this in a bucket and covered it up with all of her clean clothes as to hid the fact that she did it again.. I am at my wits end with it.. She has a doctors appointment tomorrow but if anyone is dealing with this as well and can give me any advise (cause we all know the doctors don't have all the answers) I would appreciate it.. BTW the time I caught her she walked right past the bathroom and went in her bedroom to go in a box.. HELP!!

Thanks a very confused mommy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This sounds psychological not physical. Has there been a major change in her routine recently? Marriage, divorce, birth, death, started school or a new sitter. This may be a way of her immature brain to ask for help. Let the doctor know if there is a possible stress trigger that you can think off. Also as for a referal to a child psychologist JIC.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 6:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree that this doesnt sound like a discipline issue. This sounds like something you should really discuss with your doctor.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 6:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'd be making her clean it up, not you, then she will realize its not so fun.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Been there. A few spankings & making her clean it up solved the problem.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Does she only do it at night? She might be sleep walking.
    KATEISME

Answer by KATEISME at 9:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• no she does it during the day as well im guessing.. honestly only caught her once and it was first thing in the morning.. but i keep finding it in her room.. i thought of the sleep walking as well.. i just dont know.. hoping the doc has some answers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I was searching through these questions myself to see if anyone was going through something similar. I have a five year old daughter that is doing the same thing and twice has even taken to pooping in her closet too. She has urinated in her toy bin and in her trash can. She was wearing pull ups to bed at night, and in the morning when she would take them off she would just drop it where ever she was (her room, bathroom, etc.) I can kind of understand that because she is just waking and maybe she is not full y awake yet. I ALWAYS made her pick up the offensive pull ups and she is no longer wearing them. I do not understand why she is doing this other thing though. It is not at night, it is not after a nap, it just makes no sense. I made her clean up the poop and wash out her trash can and toy bin herself. (Fortunately she took all of the toys out of the bin before urinating in it. Cont.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• She is a very intelligent little girl, and she understands that it is disgusting to do this. I am also at my wits end. I was so distraught by the last incident that I did not even know how to discipline her for the behavior. I just made her clean it up and reiterated over and over again that it was foul and disgusting. But other than that I did not know what to do...Some one asked if your child has anything knew that may be upsetting like starting school, my daughter did just start school, but says she loves it. Her 2 year old brother is potty training and the first time she pooped in the floor she said it was him, but the size of the feces let me know it was hers not his. The second time I was cleaning her room and asked if she had anything in her closet. She said "No, but Mommy will you forgive me?" I said "For what?" She said "I pooped in there again." I just do not understand why she is doing it. Brother always goes on pot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Wow...sounds horrible!! Hope you find out what is going on!!
    ElizaDaniels

Answer by ElizaDaniels at 5:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2009