Im cooking dry beans in a slow cooker for dinner and I was wondering what seasonings to put in it to make it good?

Im cutting up sausage as well as bacon into it so what kind of seasonings do I need to put in the beans? and this is my first time cooking dry beans, how long do I need to cook them? Low medium or high? I need them done in about 3 hours.

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 6:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Some onion and garlic would be good, along with summer savory if you have it (it's a dry herb). *Cook on high* but they still might not be done in 3 hours, it depends on the size of your crockpot, how much you're cooking, and if you soaked them first or not. If I don't soak mine, it usually takes about six hours for a pound of beans but I also live above 6,000 ft and I'm pretty sure the altitude increases that cooking time.
    Agree to not salt until after it's done cooking, especially with sausage added in. You won't know how much salt the beans pick up from the sausage until the end.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:35 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• its going to take you a while if they were not pre-soaked. Onions and Cumin are always great for beans. Maybe a little Cilantro too.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Ditto pp salt but don't salt them until they are almost done or it will take longer to cook
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• how long and what temp do I cook them at? they are not pre soaked
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 6:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Well in the crock-pot it will take at least 8 hours I think longer if you didn't pre-soak them.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 7:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You can add a pack of chili seasoning to them, And as the pp said make cornbread. My kids love it that way. I also make beans and hamhocks ( and some cut up ham ) For soup. yummy!
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Don't add any salts or acids (like tomatoes) until the beans are completely cooked. I cook dried beans with olive oil, onion, garlic and cumin.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Chipotles in Adobo. Worcheshire. Tabasco, Tony Chaceries Creole seasoning, garlic, onions, 2 cans of tomato sauce (after the beans are soft). Yum! now I am thinking about cooking some beans :-)
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2009