For home schooling moms with skeptical husbands, how did you convince him it was the best choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in

• I read him portions of various homeschooling books I read, I introduced him to other homeschooling families, and I agree to take it a year at a time. Seven years later, and he is a big supporter.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Basically the same as mancosmom, only now HE is trying to convince ME to homeschool again. We stopped last year and things have gone downhill since. I am still not ready to get back into it though. Just show him the numbers, stats, etc. Meet with some homeschooling families and show him your plan on how you will implement it and how it will work.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I still haven't lol- he was all for it at first but after hearing negative things from his mom he is now doubting my abilities so I am pretty much trying to convince the both of them lol- we just started today though so after 20 lessons (thats when Im due in my lesson plan to do a progress report) I plan on showing them how the kids are doing and then let them see how this is so much better for us
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My middle son was diagnosed hyper-active, & the school diagnosed him ADHD (they aren't supposed to diagnose) I disagreed, & refused to put him on meds, so the school punished me by putting him in a full time special ed class, although they said he had no learning disabilities. By mid of 3rd grade he scored below 1st grade level in every subject, & couldn't read. I generally don't go against my husband, but I pulled him out of school, along with his younger brother, this was 10 ys ago, & I didn't even know if it was legal to homeschool.I had a lot to learn.

My husband was angry, & made the 1st year hell. But, after 1 year homeschooling my kids took the standardized tests, & scored way above grade level. My husband became my biggest supporter. When my middle son finished 5th grade, he scored at 17th grade level in reading, & high school level in all subjects. Both boys are in college, my youngest is a 17 yr old sophomore.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I said to DH I need you to come to this with an open-mind. I don't want you to make up your mind and just humor me through it. I want you to research it WITH me. He wasn't too into it at first, but out of respect for me he started the research on-line (I'm went to the library and found books) and he loved what he saw. He also saw the endless possibilities that we can offer our kiddos that school districts simply cannot. I also came at him a little bit from a "personal responsibility" standpoint as in, "Why should we entrust COMPLETE strangers to RAISE our children? Why can't WE do a better job?"
    tennisgal

Answer by tennisgal at 1:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I didn't convince him. I just let the proof be in the pudding. Watching our son (who would have been labeled to the hilt in PS) learn so much more than many "experts" would have told us he was capable of did more for my husband than all the books and articles in the world. He had times where he questioned my sanity, but he trusted me and knew that I was doing what I truly believed was best for our children. I told him that if it didn't work out we could always discuss alternatives, but that never happened. Now he is one of my biggest supporters. It helped that I was very well-read about homeschooling. Even though he didn't do any research himself, I could always answer his questions or find answers for him. Another thing that really helped him was going to conventions and being surrounded by lots of other families. He saw that it wasn't just my kooky idea and that there were lots of families living this way.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2009