What is a good amount for allowance for 5yr old?

My 5yr old would like to start earning an allowance. So we have come up with a chore list, but have no clue what would be a good amount? Any suggestions!

2cycloneboys

Asked by 2cycloneboys at 6:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Start with $.50 per chore. At that age, they don't need the money for expensive things..usually just candy.

I never got an allowance. We were rewarded for our good grades. An A was a dollar, a B was .50, and a C was .25 D was nothing, and an F meant you owed a dollar.

Though if we asked our parents for pocket money for something specific, they'd find a task they felt equal to the amount we desired. GL!..

And encourage saving!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My son gets 1.50 a week. Any chore I have to do for him cost .50 out of his bank. He has to pay me. If he doesn't have it in his bank then he owes it from the next week. He has to pick up the living room (his toys only), put his clothes in the hamper and give the dog water daily.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My daughter gets 5.00 a week. She makes sure her dogs have food and water and keeps her room clean. She also helps her brother keep his room clean and keeps the bathroom clean. She usually just saved it and spend it on the Ice Cream truck or by something for her baby doll or a video game for her WII.
    miedreem

Answer by miedreem at 1:29 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• a dollar a week
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Zero. He should know that helping out around the house is expected as part of the family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would not do to much, we have a 7 yr old he gets 5 if he does everything right if not he will have to do them and not get payed.
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Doing chores is an expectation of being part of a family. So I don't believe that kids should get an allowance for doing them. The minute you don't have the allowance to give, they won't do the chores. What I've done with my son is give him a dollar for every year per week (he's 6 now so he gets $6 per week). The reason he gets an allowance is for doing "his job." He always used to ask me why I had to go to work and I would tell him so that I could make money. He would then say that he wanted to go to work. I told him that he already has a job - school. School is his job and that needs to be his focus. As long as he works hard at his job and does well in school, he gets an allowance. We have a rule that $2 a week has to go into his piggy bank for savings (which we put into an account together). It also helped to stop the "Can I have this?" every time we go to the store! He's learned to save to get what he wants.
    amy5272

Answer by amy5272 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We're getting things set up so they can get an allowance for their "jobs". We don't do "chores" around here, just "jobs". (They like the term jobs better, LOL!) They'll get a quarter a job, with bonuses for good grades. They also have to have their jobs done before they can play video games, computer games or watch movies (I don't allow a whole lot of regular TV, but they have their collection of pre-approved movies they have fairly free access to.)
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 4:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son gets an allowance because he is a part of the family. He deserves his part of the family reserves as well.  We also use it as a learning tool.  If you choose to neglect the responsibility of your job then you still have the responsibility of making sure it gets done.  Paying someone else to do it.  If I don't do my job i don't get paid.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son gets 10 a week. Some people think its high but his toys cost anywhere for 5-20 each and his video games are 35.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2009