Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on switching doctors late in pregnancy...

I am nearing 33 weeks now & would like to find another doctor, for several reasons. One of which is because I do not feel comfortable delivering at the hospital my current doctor works out of, & I also do not feel comfortable knowing that my doctor prefers c-sections over vaginal (she even stated that she will only deliver vaginally about 10% of the time, she feels that c-sections are much easier in the long run). These two factors are big ones, I have a few others as well though. Anyways, seeing that I'm so far into this pregnancy, I was wondering if anyone has advice on switching this late? (I am not looking for a midwife - my insurance does not cover it, so that is out of the question). Also, does anyone know how to go about obtaining my medical records? I'm sure this all sounds dumb to some, but I've always just gone with the flow of things, not knowing I had an actual say. Well now I know I can have a say, & I want it...


Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 4 (38 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Call around like you would do for your first appointment in the pregnancy. Ask any relevant questions you have, like the C-section vs. vaginal issue and at what hospital(s) they deliver. Ask about your insurance, whether they'll take you this late in your pregnancy. As far as getting medical records, you just have to go in to your current doctor's office and tell them you want your records, fill out a form, pay them what they want for it (it was $20 for mine, and you might not have to pay if the new OB will request the records directly), tell them where you want them sent or if you want them to give you a paper copy to take with you. It's a little bit of a hassle, but very worth it if it's something you feel strongly about.

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • i can't offer more than common sense

    research doctors in your area who take your insurance

    call and ask their views on c sections vs vaginal births

    set up an appointment

    have their office contact your old doctor and ask to have the records faxed over


    Answer by staciandababy at 7:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • I was able to refer a friend to my OB/Gyn when she was about 30wks in her preg. It worked out fine. Is there anybody that has had a baby and really liked their OB. See if they take your insurance and have the new doc. office contact the old one and request you Medical records. I know things aren't always that easy, especially if you are new to something. Some people are good at doing certain things and some are a little more unsure of themselves. I understand your concerns. Your Doc. now sounds a little strange to me. I have never heard of an OB prefering to do C-sections.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • i would switch. i switchee doctors at 36 weeks, and im SOOO glad i did

    Answer by erika_wright at 7:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • Is it just MIDWIVES they don't accept? What about a Certified Nurse Midwife. Other than that you will just have to research OBs in the area that accept your insurance. As far as switching, don't worry about it. You need to do what is best for you and baby.

    As for the medical records, you can ask for a printed copy (and after they give it to you, say that you are changing doctors if you feel uncomforatble doing it in person) *though you might have to pay for it* that you can give to your new doctor. Otherwise just tell them upfront that you want a natural birth and found a new OB that has a higher percentage of vaginal births than c-sections and they will give you a medical release form and fax your records to the new doctor.

    When I switched they were really rude about it, like it would take 2 weeks to fax it and i had to pay $35 for the hard copy to take to my CNM. It was annoying, but I was SOOOOOOOO glad I switched.

    Answer by missbreezy214 at 8:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • Do you mean that your insurance will only cover hospital births? There are midwives (CNMs) in OB practices, insurances will usually cover that. (They don't know who you're seeing, precisely.)

    Answer by doulala at 8:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • I have state insurance, the midwives I've talked to have said they do not take it. I've also talked to the people at the Medi-Cal office (that is the state insurance) & they told me that I have a choice of 3 hospitals in the area, but that's all they say.

    Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • Were these homebirth midwives or hospital midwives that you spoke with? Did they have any "leads" to some other midwives that will take it?
    What about birth centers? Have you tried that option?
    And then there is a good possibility that these hospitals will have Nurse-Midwives you can choose from.

    When I was on that insurance (state) they covered each of my out-of-hospital waterbirths~ sometimes you have to dig a little bit. ;-)

    Answer by doulala at 9:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • Yeah, I checked all the local birthing centers early on, & not a single one took my insurance. The hospitals say I have to have an OB & just send me to different clinics - all of which have given me basically no choice in who I wanted to see (I'm just about to leave my 3rd doctor). I've noticed they don't treat people on the state insurance here very well, probably because too many people have abused the system & ruined it for the rest of us. I will check about transferring my records though, hopefully they can do it free of charge. Thanks you guys!

    Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2009