Another baby question, more for midwives and douhlas (sp?)

I am 21, my youngest will be 10 months on the 13th, in may of 2010 we are going to try for another baby, i am a type 1 daibetic, i gave birth with my last at 26 weeks and 4 days, we weighed in at 8lbz 7 ozs, i want to have a water birth with this new one, can i?? first daughter had epi, second, no meds and now i want a water birth!

MammaSherry

Asked by MammaSherry at 7:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• correction_ 36 weeks 4 days
    MammaSherry

Answer by MammaSherry at 7:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• That depends. Here in Arizona type 1 diabetes is grounds for risking out of a homebirth midwife's services and no doctors do homebirth AND the local hospital is not set up for water birth. You need to get in touch with all your local hospitals and ask if they allow water birth and your local midwives and ask if they can attend the homebirth of a woman with type 1 diabetes.

Your only other option is an unassisted home birth, but unless you do TONS and TONS of research and have someone there who has also done lot of research I can't recommend it, especially with a medical condition.

I wish you the best of luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• i will go to a birthing center or even have a pool or tub in my hosp room, i saw a video that the lady had the pool in her hosp room, i was thinking that!
    MammaSherry

Answer by MammaSherry at 7:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• MountainMidwife says:
    This would depend upon a lot of factors. If your sugars are under control and you are seeing an endocrinologist regularly, that will of course play in your favor. If your endocrinologist classifies you as low risk, then you have a better shot at getting into a midwifery practice. Some midwives would not be comfortable with you in their care, others would. You'll have to do some shopping around, and make sure that your sugars & A1C's are beautiful for the rest of your pregnancy.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2009