2nd Interviewer won't tell me the salary.

Hi, I went on a 2nd interview with a company, In addition to being interviewed with the original woman that interviewed me, her boss also interviewed me. They stated that they do not know what they will be paying, that they are still researching it, I even asked for a ball-park salary rate, and they don't know. The job isn't a new position that just fell out of the sky. It's a position that many companies have (Bookkeeping/Accounting).

Have you ever gone to a 2nd interview and they don't tell you the pay?????? Not even a ballpark rate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• I never ask. I always thought it was frowned upon. I would just say wait until they offer you the job (because they always tell you then) and then you can ask for more or take it or refuse it outright, depending on what your needs are.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• They might be trying to shop candidates if they tell you the salary then they have to commit to paying you what they told you ifhey don't give you the information they could offer you below what the position normally pays to try to save money. Be careful, good luck
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree with Ati
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• This has not happened to me. In fact, in my last second interview they told me they would pay me two dollars an hour more than they had offered in the first interview.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• i agree with ati and luv. i would wait but i would also reseach the going rate so yo dont get screwed
    treystiredmommy

Answer by treystiredmommy at 8:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• If I'm not told the salary I don't continue the interviews. Why waste the time interviewing then find out you won't accept the salary? Time is money. If you keep investing time in interviews for a company that doesn't even know the pay for the position then you are cheating yourself out of interviews at one that does.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Hopefully, you have done your research, and know what the salary range is for this type of position with your background and experience. If they offer you a low salary, you need to be able to counter-offer with facts to back you up.
    I hope that you have been sending hand-written thank-you notes after every interview (if not, start now).
    Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2009