How is constipation relieved?

I've been prescribe lactulose syrup, taken milk of magnesia, taken dulcolax, taken colace and I drink tons of fluids. Any suggestions?

DBoswell

Asked by DBoswell at 7:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Are you pregnant and taking prenatals? If your prenatals have iron, that is likely making the constipation worse. If this is the case, switch to a non-iron Flintstones type vitamin and supplement with a separate iron source like liquid chlorophyll (incidentally also naturally softens stools) or Floradix (another non constipating source of iron).

Water water water!

Make sure you are getting plenty of fiber, both soluable and insoluable -- but I would NOT take fiber pills!! Just stick to food. Prune juice works very well -- and aquired taste but works well. I take mine cold like a shot if I need it -- which I haven't since taking liquid chlorophyll. Black beans also do well.

When trying to void your bowels, if you put your feet up on a stool, you will be put more into a natural squat position which can help you not to strain.

Personally I wouldn't take stool softeners. They won't solve the problem.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• take a warm bath and relax.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My Dr. said pear juice is really good
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 7:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• OH! Apple juice, or prune juice too.. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Well, so after what you have taken, you still have no relief? If so, you're like me... I have had the same problem but lately I have started taking easy every morning so I am able to feel relax to go and go to bed before 11pm helps too. BTW, massage your ear lopes with your big thumb on one side, 2nd finger on the other. Hard message your both ear lopes in the same time for 30 times in the morning and at night before go to bed. This is a kind of Chinese medicine. Hope this helps you a bit. It has brought me some relief though.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 7:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I eat jalapenos. If you can't eat spicy foods just take an enema

Answer by admckenzie at 7:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• you can try a cup of 1/2 prune juice and 1/2 apple juice in it. Also warm buttered prune juice. Drink a lot of juice will also work.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 7:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Yup...prune juice...apple juice...if you want to seriously cleanse your colon, drink beet juice...or have steamed beets...beets clean out 'hardened fecal matter' (the stuff that can aquire for years) ...sorry if TMI but this is important, keeping our colon cleansed...if we don't it can lead to all sorts of health issues...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009