Bullies

How does your kid deal with bullies/getting picked on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids haven't had to deal with too much. I guess it depends on the situation. If its just words, they ignore it. I always tell them words are never worth it. BUT if a bully were to get physical with my children, I hope they defend themselves. They have gone to self defense classes and karate. I fully support self defense if it gets physical. Hopefully, that would work. If not, I'd beat the little shit/shits senseless that hurt my kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree with the PP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• In my family we approach the bullies directly. What they depend on is that kids won't tell on them. We (my mom, me, my adult kids) teach our children to tell someone. My dd had to take her son to confront some bullies the other day. He's 11 and the bullies were in high school. How can one lone child defend himself against several big kids? (anon 6:54) She got in the car and followed them home and talked to the parents. She let them know they'd be reported to the school as well since it was on the way home from school. Bullies don't want others watching them. These guys know they will be watched and so will my grandson to make sure no one bothers him again. Always listen to kids when they talk about it or watch if they act funny when they get home. We tell everyone and document it to the parents, school and police. zero tolerance on bullying is my opinion

Answer by admckenzie at 8:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• If it is a one-time incident, tell your child to ignore.  If it is ongoing, there are some good books on bullying that parent's and kids can read together to figure out a solution http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=8   School should be notified if it continues.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 8:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Unless, you have been bullied ,or have  witness the after facts of your child or in my case my grandson being bullied,it takes more than fighting back. Last year my 15 yr. old grandson was bullied for the whole year, we were constantly at the school, then, my GS told us everything was okay, but, it wasn't,1 day he went to school,at 9:30, the school nurse was calling me to tell me to rush to the school,when, I got there, I was met by the nurse and principal,my GS had told them,he couldn't take it no more and he just wanted to die,so we had to rush him to the ER,then to a mental holding hospital. Parents listen to your kids, it's not enough to tell your kids, just ignore the bully. If, your child is being bullied,contact www.bully hotline.com, also,every school have a bully hotline, don't be afraid to get restraining orders or an emergency transfer.School,is beginning, I hope my GS can be happy in his new school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My son was bullied until he wanted to die. I wished we had just pulled him from the school but we did not want to teach him to run. This bully and his friend grabbed my son and tied him to a tree in front of the school they stripped him naked. He was kicking and screaming but the whole football team grabbing him he did not stand a chance. They photographed him and put it on the Internet. He was terrified to tell us who the boys were thankfully the schools cameras caught them all on tap. It was all of the high school varsity football team. The captain actually peed on my sons face while he was tied to the tree.

The school suspended the boys in a in school suspension and then forfeited only two games. We were floored by this. Felt they should have been expelled and the football season cancelled. We took legal action and prosecuted the boys and sued their parents and the school. My son still wanted to die.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Cont. We won and the boys were expelled three lost college scholarships and now work at Walmart and are still loser bully's. Some of the boys still harassed my son until he left for college. In college he thrived and made so many friends and left what happened to him behind. He is a Neuro surgeon now and when he comes home in his porcshe it warms my heart the bully's are forced to see how successful this boy they made feel worthless for a brief time is. He is a very nice man and would not be unkind to them even. As a mom I like to rub it in their moms faces what trash their kids are and how great my son is. lol I know it is bad but I really don't care.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• What age, and what kind of bullying? DS is almost 8. Last year some boys were pulling down his pants in the bathroom, he didn't tell me or his teacher until summer. He said he wanted to try to handle it on his own. I told him this year, he can try once, then tell the teacher the second time and me the third time. I honestly think the reaction has to depend alot on the age of the child.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Petie, I wish my son would try and handle it better. We are reading a book called "Stick Up For Yourself." and we are learning together on how to deal with bully type people, and to take responsibility for ourselves.
    I told Ethan, because a boy in the neighborhood likes to "de-pants" people, that he is to tell me anytime someone does that, or anything else, and stick up for himself.
    I think if all these parents weren't bullies, the kids wouldn't be either, at least the parents I know.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think it is horrible! I blame the schools and the bully's parents. This kind of crap should have a zero tollerance policy. Kids are there to learn, not be stressed out to the point of hurting themselves.

My kids know if I ever get a call from a parent or school telling me they are being mean to another child...well let's just say they know I would go "book of revelations" on them. There is NO excuse to torment another child! I would stop at nothing to protect my kids.

Kids will be kids to a certain extent, but bullying is not in the norm...I would be at that school every day if need be. Why the hell should I pull my kid out of his right to an education at our home school just because the school and the "parents" won't do anything to stop this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Sep. 8, 2009