Need help/Suggestions....(About Homeschooling)

Ok, so my daughter is in public school, and they put her in special ed because she is bad in math (14 yrs. old) and My daughter wants to be in homeschooled and she said its embarrsing for her to go (And it is) this whole frekin year that school has been giving us so much stress! and my question is should i just pull my daughter out of school? and get a tutor? and what happens if she fails?? I dont know what to do!!! Im soo frustated!! and public school starts this wendsday! (I live in Ny!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Get a tutor.
    I doubt she is in "special ed", its probably more like remedial math (Im guessing algebra?)

If you pull her out it is just reinforcing the fact that if she complains about something enough she can get out of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I disagree with anon:27 but I do think it is a fine line. If you pull her out to homeschool you need to make sure she understands that it will be work, that it isn't a case of "yeah, no school I get to lounge around all day long and do nothing". She needs to work and learn. If you pull her out you can start her where she is strong and work up from there. If you don't have the time or resources though, definately don't do it. You need to make sure you are either capable of teaching this to her or that there is a co-op of some sort where she can get the help she needs.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Could you do both?
    I agree with the first poster; in that if it's only math that she's behind in; it's unlikely she's in "Special Ed" classes; but I also concede that since the class she's in is seperate from the rest of her peers she's going to feel that "teen angst/not fitting in" even more than most 14yr olds do to begin with.
    I'd ask her to stay in school a little while longer; assuming the school would be willing to move her back up with the rest of her classmates if she improved. Then have a tutor several times a week; come over after school and help her get up to speed.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'm in Ny as well, I suggest joining the group Happy Homeschoolers here on cafemom. There are lots of moms who are very experienced homeschoolers who would be a great help.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:28 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• k12.com. We home schooled our daughter using this program for her 8th grade yr. They send you all materials including a computer, and a monthly check for internet and ink for the printer. She had much sucess. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2009