Do you think WIC should only provide formula to mothers if they have a medical reason they can't breast-feed?

I was just thinking the other day how much money they would save and how many more babies would benefit from breast-milk if formula wasn't provided to mothers for free. I do think WIC is a wonderful program and it is nice to have them give 11 cans of formula a month but I almost wish they didn't. Im pregnant with my 3rd and am determined to breastfeed. I breast-fed my first for 15 months and my second for only 3 weeks :( I am grateful that WIC gave us the formula to feed him with but at the same time I wish they hadn't. I think if I had to have a medical reason to not be able to breast-feed I would have worked that much harder at it and hopefully would have succeeded. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• No. What about the moms that have to go right back to work and cant afford pumps, or cant pump at work?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• no
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• What the hell? This pisses me off. Stop thinking before you yourself, WIC keeps people from getting foodstamps and welfare. It's a personal choice and it's not for others to decide. Not everyone would be able to get Medically cleared to prove they don't make enough. How would they do that seriously......
    Anonymous

• No, I'm sorry, but it is a woman's choice as to whether she wants to breastfeed or formula feed no matter what her reasons are.
    I don't think anyone has any right to tell a woman what she HAS to do with her body when there is a perfectly healthy solution on hand if a woman decides not to breastfeed.
    As for WIC placing restrictions, they already do. In our state they only provide 9 cans of formula, which helps immensely! But to take that away from an infant just because their mother doesn't wish to breastfeed defeats the purpose of the whole program, which is to keep pregnant women, lactating moms, infants, and children supplemented with healthy food choices.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I don't, no one should be forced to breast feed. And what is a good medical reason for not breastfeeding? I mean obviously having something like HIV or some other disease that can cross bm is one, but what about meds? What if I think I need meds, but someone else doesn't? What if I have depression and bf'ing contributes to it somehow? Is that a medical reason not to bf'd? Or should I just have to tough it out?

I am a huge supporter of bf'ing, I think that every mom should at least try it (barring medical issues). But while I do believe that breast feeding is usually best, it is not always best for many reasons, and it is a very personal choice that should be left up to each mom, not some bureaucracy.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No, thank god they don't think like you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree with you, formula should be a lot harder to get. There are some countries where you need a drs note to even buy formula, I think Sweden is one if memory serves. Babies should be breast fed but when you present a new mother with free formula and tell them that it's so much easier and means that they can have other people feeding the baby while they sleep it becomes awfully tempting. A fair number of women on WIC (not all but a substantial percentage) don't have the resources and education to really understand the benefits of breast feeding either so they can't make that decision. A generation ago most women used bottles because that was portrayed as either just as good or better than mothers milk so if these women are getting their info from their mothers then they're going to think it's better to use the free formula than breast feed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• OTHER COUNTRIES DON'T LIVE LIKE WE DO. WE HAVE DIFFERENT LIVING SITUATIONS, FAMILY UNITS AND BELIEFS. WE AREN'T OTHER COUNTRIES.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• NO! My body, My choice. Period!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No! No! No! I don't think it has to do with education. We should have the right to choose whether or not to breastfeed.

You said that maybe if you hadn't been provided with formula from WIC that maybe you would have tried harder and hopefully would have been successful...What if you weren't successful and there was no WIC?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2009