menu for a first birthday for 40+ guests on a budget?

I am looking for some food ideas on what to serve for my soon to be 1 year olds birthday party. It is being held in a park and we will have roughly 40 guests and would like to spend less than $100 on food. Any ideas would be great!

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 8:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• lol, cheese, crackers, veggies and dip, and chips and dip. Also, ask friends to bring dishes like sweet and sour kielbasa, or salads. That will help you keep down on the cost. Deli meat and cheese rolled up are good too, kids and adults like these.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Taco/nacho bar--seasoned ground beef or turkey, refried beans, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, tortillas or taco shells, and corn chips. You can add or subtract your favorites. You can buy a lot of this stuff in bulk or ask different members of the family to each bring something.

You could also do a salad buffet & have each family bring a favorite salad & you supply rolls or bread. Have fun!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Pasta pasta pasta
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Why not try hot dogs. We always do hot dogs for our DD's party and then ask close family to bring chips, drinks, and another side dish they want. That way all we pay for is the hd, buns, and condiments. And who doesn't love a weenie roast!! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• We did hot dogs and chicken. Chicken was cheeper than hamburger. So we made bar-b-que chicken. Fresh Veggies can be expensive. But creamed cucumbers are a cheep thing to make. And we made scalopped potatoes (from scratch, not box mixes). A couple bags of pretzels and some chips. I had some girlfriends offer to bring munchie things too. And we made the birthday cake. No sense spending $20+ for a cake you can make for less than $5. I also bought lemonade mix and made iced tea.....rather than pop. Big savings there. Have fun!!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Suddenly Salad pasta salads are around a dollar a box and easy to spruce up with some fresh chopped veggies, chicken, or cheese. 2 boxes fed 30 with leftovers at our bbq's. You can get frozen turkey burger patties 12 for less than $5, or big packs of hotdogs. Those are all pretty cheap options. Watermelon is good too.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 11:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• finger foods and little snacks in honor of the baby
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I like things I can do ahead, so I sometimes do sloppy joes, or bbq beef or pork in the crockpot (whichever is on sale.

For the kids I often did pigs n blankets, and other finger foods.

Affordable side dishes that everyone loves; hashbrown casserole, broccoli bake stuffing casserole (sounds weird, but a great potluck type dish that always disappears), pasta salad, ramen noodle salad, potato salad,

If you want any recipes message me....have fun!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i did the whole chips n dip, veggies n dips, an crackers n chesse deal, and hot dogs n burgers, if you can get a london broil on sale that wopuld be good slice it up real thin, idk where u live but by us its about $1something a pound ,.. macoroini salad an potatoe salad, u can bbq some chicken legs too they're cheap by us, u can get a huge package of them for like $3 cant think of anything else right now lol but good luck !!
    diamondgrl

Answer by diamondgrl at 2:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2009