Rice vs. Soy

Formula was too expensive and constipated him.... Went to soy and now on rice milk .... Is this ok for my 13 month old.....

SweetAkMom

Asked by SweetAkMom at 8:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Regular milk is SO much cheaper than Rice Milk! My son drinks rice milk because of a dairy allergy and I personally feel the estrogen levels are too high in soy milk. I have noticed that my son has "issues" when it comes to pooping, though...but for him, it is really our only option.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• what about regular milk?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My son was on soy. He was allergic and constipated from low iron and iron formula. So the dr. put my son on prosobee with soy. He did great .
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• At 12 months they can go to regular milk. So yes, any milk you want to put him on is fine. Though you are supposed to start with high fat until 2, then 2 % but I don't know how that translates to soy or rice milk. I know my dairy sensitive son loves almond milk.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• That is fine for a 13 month old, but rice milk is constipating as well. That is what my son's pediatrician put him on when he had bad diarrhea. Regular milk is more laxative. As long as the milk you are giving your child has enough fat and calories, and he /she stays hydrated, it should be fine.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 9:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My daughter is on rice milk, but she gets pediasure too for the nutrients and calories.. she hardly eats at all during the day and was losing weight on just the rice milk alone (my daughter has a milk and soy protien allergy that carried over after she was done with the hypoallergenic forumula)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 11:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think that if you are trying to save money def go with reg milk. I buy large quantities of organic milk... organic is a bit more expensive but lasts a lot longer than reg milk. It takes over a month to expire. And you can start giving vitamins also so they are still getting those vitamins that he would get in the formula. Hope this helps!
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Thanks ladies... I am going to give regular milk a try... See what happens (=
    SweetAkMom

Answer by SweetAkMom at 2:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2009