Mormons:

I decided a few months ago to go back to church. One problem my husband isn't! Which is okay with me but I wanted to take our child to church. But he disagrees. He says we should wait until he is old enough to decide on his own. Any advice on what I should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wow I am sorry u got so bashed by posing this question. As a person whose parents joined the mainstream LDS "mormon" church when I was 7, I can only offer u my advice looking back on it. I think that through that church my parents taught me pretty good moral standards, which I carry with me to this day. I do wish that I had been older and more able to make a more informed decision on the matter of me joining. Honestly I would sit down with your husband and ask him if even if he doesn't want them to attend would it still be alright if u carried on the value system at home as a united front with your husband. As for the religious aspect of it I kind of agree with the waiting and letting the children decide. I would however ask your husband, in the spirit of letting your child make their own choice, if he would let you be open and honest about beliefs with the children, and if they decide they want to go he lets them, cont
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 9:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Your husband doesn't want to go to the Mormon church? Nor does he want his children to?Listen to your husband on that one. The bible tells us not to believe another gospel, even if given by an angel. Joesph Smith says the angel Moroni gave him the other gospel. If you really want to know Jesus Christ, then stay out of that religion. Find a bible believing church.
    Galatians 1:6-9 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Maybe you can come up with some sort of agreement. How old is your child? Perhaps you could take your child every other week, and your hubby can have him at home with him the other times. That way you each get your way, and when your child is old enough to choose, he/she can. I do not think this is something you should just compromise like the prev poster said. In fact what she said is ridiculous. You and your hubby are in charge of your child's religious upbringing, and it is your guys' responsibility to do what is best for your child. It is not right for your hubby to make these decisions all on his own! I have to wonder if you were talking about a "mainstream" Christian religion rather than the Mormon church (who people on this site seem to hate) if the prev. poster would still say leave it to your hubby to decide.....

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• If your child is old enough to start learning about different religions then maybe having him go with you one week and having your husband teach him about other religions at home the next would be a good compromise. I agree with your husband that your child should be allowed to choose for himself and not given a bias toward any one religion, but I understand your need to feel connected to your god and to feel you are doing right by your child.

I hope you can come to a consensus soon! Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• with you not pressuring them to keep going if they decide not to go. Personally I believe that faith tends to be stronger when one comes into it on their own. Not to say that we shouldn't teach children morals or right from wrong, but in what they see in the universe (however that translates to religion) I think that they should have the choice. Once again I am sorry you got bashed, all I can offer is advice from my experience. I hope everything works out well for you.
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 9:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2009