How many Buddhist moms do we have here?

So, as many of you know, i am Pagan. Well, my boys and i were celebrating the full moon a couple nights ago and they were very curious this time about everything related to religion.
So, i was answering their questions and i told them that i would teach them anything they wanted to know about. I listed a few different paths and my oldest son (he's almost 5) said that he wanted to learn about Buddhism.
...so, how do i start? what's a good way to teach my young curious little boy about this peaceful faith? we already do meditations. Is there a Buddhist way i could have him practice next time? What are the basics of Buddhism that i can easily explain to my son?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 9:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am! Though I'm not raising my kids to be specifically Buddhist, they understand the basics. I like the site Family Dharma Connection- it gives a basic overview of Buddhist beliefs (but you have to look for it- lower right hand side, 'Dharma by the Numbers' or something similar. It also contains links to teaching materials, child-oriented meditations and mindfulness exercises, and other 'kid-friendly' ideas and material. The site is www.familydharma.pulelehuadesign.com. Hope this helps- feel free to message me!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I love that you're doing this with your kids. I have a Buddhism book for beginners on my night stand but I am not the person to ask. Just wanted to say I think it's cool.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• 42
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Thank you Freela. I was hoping you'd be on to answer this question. lol
    That site is helpful. I looked at their book recommendations and added 2 of them to the list of things to buy for Christmas this year. (we celebrate Yule and a secular Christmas).
    And the lessons look good too. Some of them we do already. I do practice Witchcraft but my spirituality does seem to lean very much towards Buddhism teachings, from what i know about Buddhism anyways.

So again, thank you for this site. i'm bookmarking it now. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2009