Constantly Nursing...

My 15 month old is still breastfeeding, which I am perfectly fine with. As of right now, I am planning on letting her self wean. She is much too attached to nursing to even consider weaning right now. If I am at work (3 days/wk), she will go all day without a bottle, no problem. But when I am at home with her, whether it be right after work or on my day off, she is CONSTANTLY nursing. Sometimes I almost feel as if I have a newborn again. And this isn't just a phase...she's been like this for...about two month. Anybody have any experience with this? It's getting to be a little frustrating and I need creative ways to get her to stop nursing ALL the time...Thank You!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Delay and distract. My 15 month old daughter sometimes does this. When she asks to nurse 5 minutes after she nursed I give her a snack... some whole grain animal crackers or some cut-up grapes and it keeps her from begging to nurse for a while. Have you tried giving frequent snacks and drinks of water?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I do give her snacks and water quite frequently, but not all the time. It doesn't seem to change anything, at least not that I've noticed. She is constantly snacking and nursing! She is one BUSY, BUSY, active child. Thank you for your suggestion though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Pretty normal. Distract and delay. It's all you can do.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The snack may not be working because maybe she isnt nursing for the food but for the bonding. Maybe try to do another mommy and me activity or try bonding another way. Maybe she will be able to realize there are other ways she can cuddle or be close without nursing. Just like they go through stages of wanting to be held all the time, sometimes they just want that extra closeness. But she obviously wants to be touching so try to find an activity where you arent just in the same area but actually in contact also. My daughter loves working out with me. I do sit ups with her on my knees or she lays on my belly then I tickler her when i do sit-ups. Hope that helps.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'm going through the same with my 13 month old. And now that she has teeth, I'm trying harder to wean her off. But weaing her is harder than I thought it would be. I've started to get her dad more involved to distract her away from nursing. I'll ask him to take her into her room and play with her and giver her a cup of milk and when she finishes, I sneak back and play with her.
    AlanasMom0805

Answer by AlanasMom0805 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Ha ha....you took the words right out of my mouth. My daughter does the same thing. She is almost 20 months. I work 3 days a week too and on those days I work she takes no bottle or cup of milk. She will sometimes drink "cow milk" as we call it at my mother in laws, but when I get home she wants to nurse nurse nurse. I don't mind b/c she sleeps well at night. Only thing I can suggest that I do is distract her and start playing something with her or give her a snack. I'm in your shoes and feel like she'll be nursing till she's 18, but what do you do. I'd like her to wean herself too. I'm anxious to see the advice you get. I need it too!
    babyg34

Answer by babyg34 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2009