At 3 months old..

Is it okay to give him cereal in his formula if he already weighs ove r 14 pounds and barely gets full just off of formula alone any more?

mandie_jean

Asked by mandie_jean at 10:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you shouldnt give cereal in a bottle. that is food that should be fed by spoon unless directed otherwise by THERE pediatrician for reflux or something.. it should fed by spoon and if your LO wont take it by spoon, theyre too little to be eating it. solids should be introduced around 6 months depending on their development.

ask your pediatrician about giving cereal, not women on here, youll get a bunch of different answers.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Its not gonna make him go longer between bottles. My daughter has cereal in her bottles for reflux and it doesn't make her go longer between bottles and it doesn't make her sleep longer.

Don't do it unless your doctor recommends it.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 10:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree with the PP.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 10:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I fed my son cereal in his bottle at that age. I disagree with the reply above about not making them go longer between bottles. Every baby is different. It filled up my sons tummy and he was able to sleep better. I had to do something especially when the was refusing the bottle. I called his pediatrician a week after starting him on it and they said that's what they would have suggested too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• being as he weighs 14 lbs already, sounds like he is eating enough and growing good. i wouldnt change anything. i would only ask the pedi IF i was concerned about him not growing correctly.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• you are going to get answers from both sides. we started our son on very "watered down" cereal with formula at 4 months. on a spoon though. any time i tried to give cereal in a bottle, it clogged it lol get the next step up nipple rather than try to poke holes in them...if that is what you are going to do. but what does your dr say about the weight and nutrition? good luck
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard. Cereal does not make babies sleep. Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 11:45 AM on Sep. 8, 2009