Belly Button Question

So, my daughter is 2 and a half weeks old, and today when changing her diaper my husband noticed her little belly button (its still healing from when the cord fell off) hand a little bit of yellowish discharge. Its not warm to the touch, or red or anything like that, but he did say that it smelled like.. well like his belly button. Just wondering if that's normal or if I should call her doctor tomorrow morning.

Skye-Angel

Asked by Skye-Angel at 10:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thats normal. its healing.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'd call. It could get infected. They'll be able to give you instructions on how best to clean it and if it should be evaluated. It is normal though so don't loose sleep tonight, okay?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• i wud just call in case to make sure, but you cud do is cleaning the belly button wit alcohol with a cotton swab
    tashababii

Answer by tashababii at 10:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• i would call. remember to always clean it even after it has fallen off. you dont want it to get infected while it is still healing
    Kyle_wify

Answer by Kyle_wify at 11:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• i was "lucky" enough to have my daughter be in the nicu while her belly was healing, but i remember the nurses saying something about making sure it stays super dry and maybe swabbing with alcohol. of course you can always call the md.
    bplusrequalsj

Answer by bplusrequalsj at 12:29 AM on Sep. 8, 2009