A look into our future?

The 24-hour news channel also purportedly sought to "promote public protests, which could generate a climate of tension and nervousness in the population," it said.

Chavez's government closed 32 radio stations and two small television stations last month and Cabello said last week that an additional 29 radio stations "will soon leave" the airwaves.

But ya know "In Venezuela, with Chavez, is really an incredible revolution - a democratic revolution. To begin to put in place things that are going to have an impact on the people of Venezuela."-Mark Lloyd

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• God help us all..!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I don't get it. You think we're going to become Venezuela?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• * beckcorc
    Do you know who Mark Lloyd is?
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• How is this a look into our future? Meaning that dissenters could lose their broadcast licenses?

Not likely.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Considering Mark Lloyd wants to reinstate FCC fairness doctrine just tweaked a bit. Yes, I do believe that shows / radio broadcasts would start being shut down if it is to take effect.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• "Considering Mark Lloyd wants to reinstate FCC fairness doctrine just tweaked a bit. Yes, I do believe that shows / radio broadcasts would start being shut down if it is to take effect."

Problem is that Mr. Lloyd isn't chairman of the FCC. And the FCC itself has trouble passing rules.

Next problem is that BROADCASTERS don't want the Fairness Doctrine back. The National Association of Broadcasters can and will destroy any effort to reinstate it...they've been working very hard on that.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Well I know that I am not the only person concerned.

Letter by Senator Chuck Grassley to FCC chairman Julius Genachowski, expressing his concerns about the Lloyd appointment.

"I do not believe that more regulation, more taxes or fines, or increased government intervention in the commercial radio market will serve the public interest or further the goals of diversifying the marketplace. I am concerned that despite his statements that the Fairness Doctrine is unnecessary, Mr. Lloyd supports a backdoor method of furthering the goals of the Fairness Doctrine by other means. Accordingly, I ask that you clarify and reaffirm your commitment to me to oppose any reincarnation of the Fairness Doctrine. Further, I ask you to affirmatively state that you will not pursue an agenda that includes any new restrictions, fines, fees, or licensing requirements on commercial radio that would effectively create a backdoor Fairness Doctrine."
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I guess because I work in broadcasting I see it differently. Broadcasters won't accept the Fairness Doctrine again.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• We have something in this country called a Constitution and in it we have guaranteed rights to freedom of speech and freedom of the press. American citizens would never settle for anything less.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2009