What is a good pet for an 8 year old?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 10:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Pets

• I think an 8 year old is ready for any kind of pet. He is old enough to go to puppy training and learn how to train and treat a dog. A cat is always a great pet but it's nice if the child can remember the kitten stage that goes by so very fast; Which an 8 year old can do. Personally I do not like fish because most of the one's I've had die quickly and that's hard for a child to deal with. Hamsters and mice are nice, but if you already have cat's it's really just a matter of time before someone forgets to close a door or cage and the cat's will kill them, plush their cages need regular cleaning or they start to smell. Just remember, at the end of the day, no matter how old the child is, the pet is ultimately your responsibility.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 12:18 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• A puppy or a hamster.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 10:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• fish
    not too much maintenance, lovely to look, at all different kinds, they dont make a mess, no walks, no training whats not to love?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• We have guinea pigs- my kids are 7, 5, and 2.5 and they all love them. If you want something a little lower maintenance than a dog, I would recommend them... however go into it with your eyes open because they are definitely not low maintenance pets- they need their cage cleaned once or twice a week, fresh greens and hay daily, and some attention and free play time daily. But they are sweet if you and your child are up for the commitment!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Guinea pigs..I have 4 of them and my kids are great with them (8,4,2). But like Freela was saying, they do demand a lot of responsibility. My husband and I are usually the ones cleaning out their cage, but that's because they have a 7 foot grid cage. They do need a variety of fresh vegetables, pellets, and continuous hay. We had one die on us almost two weeks ago and it was sad, but he was sick. My kids had their first experience with death. But otherwise, they can live up to 7 years. I had one for 5 years.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• we use to have a zoo here at home we had snakes, lizards, cats, dog, rats, mice, fish, turttles, birds, and fish just here at home...we have always had pets since befor my dd was born she has grown up around pets...i would let ur 8 yr old pick out the animal they want if u get something they rnt interested in than they wont take care of it...after they pick out the animale research the care and exspected exspenses and talk it over with them if they get a allowence then they should help buy extra stuff for that animal...like toys, treats, things of that nature or do chorses
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:15 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• parakeet

Answer by rkoloms at 11:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Remember whatever you get, it is your job to make sure it is being taken care of. The child can have the resposibility, but as the parent it is your responsibilty to make sure it is getting done. Rats, mice, Bunnies, & Guinea Pigs make great pets for children. They are all very friendly & can learn tricks(mice not so much on the trick part, but they are super friendly).
    JerzakJ

Answer by JerzakJ at 12:00 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

•  Beta

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009