If your child's school suddenly became "nut free", would you continue to send your child to school with peanut butter and other foods made with nuts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, but I'd have a fit with the school. This nut thing is rediculous. If the allergy is that bad, other arragements need to be made. And there are so many peanut products and items made iwth peanut oil, how can you be 100% certain all the time? Kids sneak candy. I'm sure there will still be snickers and other candies brought into the school. I disagree with creating a false sense of security by calling it "peanut free" zones. Educate the students. Educate the child with the allergies and educate the teachers and aids who will be around these kids to react appropriately. But the child needs to learn to deal with the allergy and the possiblity that once he/she gets off the bus or goes to the mall, etc. he can't have that same false sense of security the school provides. What do they do about field trips? You can't make the museum peanut free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• no they would probably kick your kid out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No, I wouldn't send nut products to school, but we are careful about what nut products we have in our house right now and how they are stored and used. We have a few relatives that are highly allergic to nuts so we are extra careful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No. I don't understand having a problem with something that's potentially life-threatening to a child.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I wouldnt just because a friend of the family almost died because of a nut allergy a few weeks back. So knowing how serious it can be...no I wouldnt
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 10:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No, of course not. There are tons of other healthy options. There's no need to put other children at risk, because I'm too lazy to find other food ideas . . . that's just callous and dangerous.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No i wouldn't. It's kind of irritating but understandable. You could possible kill another person's child so I understand making the rule.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• If it were just suggested, then I MIGHT. If it became a official rule, of course I wouldn't.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• NO!! I would feel horrible guilty if I did and a child that is allergic to peanuts or nuts inhaled that oils and DIED. Some parents need to use common sense before doing something that has the potential of killing someone. Nut allergies are deadly, some kids can't even breath in the oils of peanuts without having a reaction.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• At my son's pre school we were "nut free". It w really difficult for him and other families who found PBandJ to be a cost effective and healthy option but we made do. Kindergarten this year is awesome. Don't touch my son's lunch if you have allergies. Nuff said.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 10:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2009