Are ovulation tests accurate?

My husband and I have a 2 year old daughter who we had no trouble at all conceiving. She was our little "surprise" baby:) This time we have been trying for about 4 months now and I thought it was going to happen right away, a little naive I know! I have been taking ovulation tests to tell me when i will be the most fertile and every test I have taken says I am not fertile.. no matter what time of month. Could this be possible. I should also note that I had an IUD taken out 4 months ago when we began trying. Thanks!

ashleyuc07

Asked by ashleyuc07 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• With some women, OPKs miss their LH surge because they test right before and/or right afterwards and their surge doesn't last very long. If you want, you can try testing twice a day (every 12 hours) instead of once, that might make it pick up your LH surge better. Or your surge might not be strong enough to be picked up by an OPK. Or you might not be ovulating (you can have periods without ovulating). The best thing to do is chart basal body temperatures and/or cervical mucus in addition to (or instead of) taking OPKs. As a PP said, www.fertilityfriend.com is a great resource, and also the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Don't get too discouraged yet. :)

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• In my experience, they are NOT accurate. An OPK said I wasn't fertile on the very day my son was conceived. (And I do know exactly what day because I was charting at the time.)

Answer by gdiamante at 10:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Hmm thats wierd...your normally really fertile after an IUD. The tests are pretty accurate for the most part. I would go to your doc and get a pap and ask questions then, although 4 months really isnt that long to try
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 10:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Most drs wont even consider talking to you until you have been trying for 6months. You could start charting your temperatures. Use http://www.fertilityfriend.com it is great. Opks are accurate if used correctly. You should test mid day. non concentrated urine. test line should be as dark or darker than control line.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 11:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2009