Can you imagine...

...a time when it's not us against them; right vs left; liberals vs conservatives; Dems vs Repbs; etc...?

Can you imagine being at work & needing to hash out a budget for a project & it being handled the way politics are? One side of the table screaming across to the other, back & forth?

How about instead imagining we could handle politics in the way we handle round table discussions. As an open exchange of ideas to be discussed; weighed; accepted or discarded...instead of the immediate "well my guy presented it so it must be right" mentality I see so often displayed.

Can you imagine a time where there will be an issue at hand & instead of immediately 'detesting' the opposition we take turns listening & considering the possibility before replying with a productive response?

I get that we're women & some cattiness is inherent; but can we try to at least wait til it is warranted? Maybe?

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am joining you in imagining.....I like it!
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 10:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'm already there. I don't feel like I have a guy tho, so that helps. None of them up there can be trusted. I'm looking forward to 2010 and hopefully some fresh blood of neither party on the hill! Woo hoo!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think this is a multi-partisan nation and bills and laws need to be represented as such.

I think we need to ask WHO are they REALLY working for? How many can say their politician is working FOR them and NOT for a special interest/lobbyist. We need to end political/corporate corruption. Both Sides. Halliburton. GE. They are the ones writing the laws. It'sickening.

I will say, I support fiscally conservative principles. Which tend to be on the right.  So, I tend to gravitate to the right based on my Fundamental Beliefs of the limited involvement Federal Government should have in our lives and our paychecks..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I can't Imagine such a thing, for the fact this is how it has been run for many many years and it will continue to run like this. It is like trying to get a Packers fan to agree with a Vikings fan on whos QB is better it would never happen. All I want is transparency!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'm a leaning Independant (lol) socially I tend a little more left; fiscally/legislatively a little more right; however for me personally to feel I've made a fully informed stand on an issue I need to hear from all sides involved as to what their ideas are. I can't just listen to (for example) only Fox or only MSNBC and have just one piece of the puzzle and then reasonably decide what I think is the right way to go.

I look forward to hearing what the other side thinks it helps me think the issue through fully and feel more confident in my decisions.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I love to imagine, do I think it will happen...sadly no. I want to be able to look at both sides and say I like that and I like that. However, with all the nastiness not only on here but also with the politicians themselves its really hard for me to listen to any of them. I honestly get a headache because no one can actually put forth their ideas without being nasty about the others ideas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I would love to be able to imagine this sort of time. It will never happen as long as politicians get together in small groups behind closed doors in the middle of the night to draft critical legislation. It will never happen as long as those the fight for this country, believe in God or question the government are labeled "terrorists." It will never happen when constituents exercise their constitutional right to question the actions of the government and are then labeled by that government as "Unamerican." I could go on.

IMO, the bickering isn't just in politics. I have seen some VERY heated discussions among the boards of different military spouses clubs. I have also seen a lot since I have been active on the board of the school booster club. So much fuss over whether to buy a new rug or new clocks....
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2009